Advice on proximity alert implementation

Hello everyone, I have a use case: I would like to create a set of two meshtestic devices that will change an alarm when they are found in range and then when they are closer than 1 km.

I have beginner level Python experience, and also we willing to take the sub as a long-term project and learn some c++.

Do you have any suggestions on what could be easier to modify and fork a version of the code in the device or attach a set of raspberry Pi’s that will process the data through Python and act accordingly.

Also is anyone here experienced with modifying the code for meshtastic devices?

2 Likes

Meshtastic has implemented a plugin interface.

By creating a plugin you can run custom code that should be easy to keep up to date independent of the device code.

1 Like

Hi!

@Spor7biker is right on.

The external notification plugin has examples on how to trigger alarms. The range test plugin has examples on how to get the distance between two devices.

the other comments here are good. It is a tradeoff, you can learn C++ and do the plugin thing. That’s probably the way to go.

You could also use python from a rPi, but the hassles of using an extra computer might not be worth it.