Anyone In Italy?

I hope to not be the only Italian? :shushing_face:

2 Likes

no you are not the only one

4 Likes

hello you are not alone! I try to develop a mesh net with my actual set of LoRa Meshtastic 1.8 platform.
I would like to exchange some experience about it. If you want write me a PM to iz0dzx@gmail.com

1 Like

I will write you soon, Iā€™m also testing my mesh but I have to figure how send messages from time to time to test the rage. Have you any suggestion how to do with python api?

You might find these posts useful:

2 Likes

Iā€™m starting from the easy task, but iā€™m stuck in whit this error.

Someone can help me?

import meshtastic
interface = meshtastic.SerialInterface() # By default will try to find a meshtastic device, otherwise provide a device path like /dev/ttyUSB0
interface.sendText("hello mesh") # or sendData to send binary data, see documentations for other options.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File ā€œC:/Users/NICCO/Desktop/Prova/Hello mesh.pyā€, line 3, in
interface.sendText(ā€œhello meshā€) # or sendData to send binary data, see documentations for other options.
File ā€œC:\Users\NICCO\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\site-packages\meshtastic_init_.pyā€, line 130, in sendText
return self.sendData(text.encode(ā€œutf-8ā€), destinationId,
File ā€œC:\Users\NICCO\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\site-packages\meshtastic_init_.pyā€, line 146, in sendData
return self.sendPacket(meshPacket, destinationId, wantAck=wantAck)
File ā€œC:\Users\NICCO\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\site-packages\meshtastic_init_.pyā€, line 198, in sendPacket
meshPacket.id = self.generatePacketId()
File "C:\Users\NICCO\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\site-packages\meshtastic_init
.py", line 294, in _generatePacketId
raise Exception(ā€œNot connected yet, can not generate packetā€)
Exception: Not connected yet, can not generate packet

Board: Lora32
Region: EU 868
Fw: 1.1.7

Board: Tbeam
Region: EU 868
Fw: 1.1.7

What is the outputs of meshtastic --test and meshtastic --info --device /dev/ttyUSB0 (change ttyUSB0 to your connected Meshtastic device)?

I already use meshtastic ā€”info and i see all the stuff. Iā€™m on windows 10 without the path Iā€™m able to talk whit the board.

I find and modified this and seems to work.

import meshtastic
import time
from pubsub import pub

def onReceive(packet, interface): # called when a packet arrives
print(f"Received: {packet}")

def onConnection(interface, topic=pub.AUTO_TOPIC): # called when we (re)connect to the radio
# defaults to broadcast, specify a destination ID if you wish
#interface.sendText(ā€œhello meshā€)
while 1:
str = time.strftime("%a, %H:%M:%S", time.gmtime())
interface.sendText(str)
time.sleep(60)

pub.subscribe(onReceive, ā€œmeshtastic.receiveā€)
pub.subscribe(onConnection, ā€œmeshtastic.connection.establishedā€)# By default will try to find a meshtastic device, otherwise provide a device path like /dev/ttyUSB0

interface = meshtastic.SerialInterface()

Now I have some range issues, but i have to optimize the setup and give a good place for the antenna on my static node and replace the stock one for the mobile node.
I hope to be able to remote it on my balcony and have less things in the way.

You could build a simple, but efficient, half-wave dipole antenna, or a sleeve dipole antenna. Examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWLTKgrOTZM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcho1gJ2xEQ

NanoVNA can be used to measure the antennas (make the elements a bit bigger, and then cut them accurate according to NanoVNA measurements): Antenna improved range

1 Like

Iā€™m trying a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna that I built. I hope to have time to make some test.

Hi Folletto95, hello from a newbie to meshtastic from the Salerno county.

1 Like

@podi62 Hi Iā€™m near Siena

Ciao, Iā€™m setting up a fixed, solar-powered node 40 km North from Torino on 868 MHz. Now itā€™s on most every night on a balcony facing South-West.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just created a Telegram group for Meshtastic users based in Italy. The idea is to facilitate local network building, distance records, etc.

I hope @geeksville doesnā€™t mind, else Iā€™ll close the group immediately.

You can join through the invitation link: t.me/meshtastic_italia

Cheers,
Andrea

1 Like

Sounds great to me. In fact if you want to add a link from the main website, feel free to edit docs/readme.md and send in a pull request. Ideally add a section for ā€œrelated groupsā€.

Ciao, do you have added your node on the map? The two in Tuscany are mine

Thank you Kevin!

Iā€™m not familiar with the inner workings of your website, should I edit Meshtastic-device/README.md in Github?

Not yet, as itā€™s still neither on the roof nor working 24/7.

1 Like

Almost: You want to edit Meshtastic-device/docs/README.md. Thatā€™s the file that through github magic becomes www.meshtastic.orgā€™s homepage.

Oh I see! Will do, thanks!

1 Like