A range of 12 feet?

I’m new to Lora and Meshtastic. I picked up a couple of these LILYGO®TTGO LORA32 V2.0 433/868/915Mhz ESP32 LoRa OLED 0.96 Inch SD Card Display Bluetooth WIFI ESP32 Module With Antenna|Circuits| - AliExpress, attached one of these batteries to each 4pcs 3.7V 1000mAh Lithium Rechargable Battery Micro JST 1.25 for Arduino Nodemcu | eBay, and connected the antennae. I flashed the firmware-tlora-v2-1.2.44.f2...bin from the github repo - meshtastic/Meshtastic-device/releases .

And it worked. I paired two Android phones and I can set them side-by-side and send messages back and forth. Great! But if I take one two rooms away, they can’t talk at all. And I walked halfway down the block and the device at home received all the messages, but no replies came through to the traveling device. It seems like if they get more than a dozen feet apart, they start having communication problems.

Did I miss something?

1. Check antennas. Connection contacts. Conformity of diapazones.
  2. Check the ranges. Modules on 868 will not work on 433 and vice versa.

Der_Bear,
I already removed and reattached the antennas to their wires, and the connection to the board seems snug and rotates nicely. I don’t know what a diapazone is…

As for the ranges: Both main chips are labeled, 868/915Mhz. Is that sufficient, or is there something that needs to be checked through software - ie, to make sure whether it’s using 868 or 915? If it helps, in the Android app, I selected “US” for the region on both.

Thank you!

It sounds like you have done what is needed. The board that is not receiving may have a defect.

Are you sure both boards are using the same firmware version?

Sooo, I feel a little embarrassed about this: I charged both and then they worked great. So I guess one (probably the one that wouldn’t sent but could receive) was really low on power.

Thanks for your help! These things are cool. Now I just need to rig up a solar-powered relay and put it somewhere up high. If you know of a good guide for that, please let me know!