What region should I set for 915mh?

I’m very new to the subject.
I use the device in Israel. For now I set US but I understand US is using 903.08mh.
What region should I set? With the fewest restrictions.
Thank you for helping

Looks like Israel uses AS923-4 between 917-920 MHz:
(references)

From doing some brief searches it was updated from

I can not find anything more on the specifics of the regulations or if the old 915-917mhz frequencies are still an “ISM” band that can be used or what the limits on output power are.

If anyone can find out more info we can add it as a region.

1 Like

Thank you.
What region do you think I should use for now?

I found! Translated to English.

Frequency Band or Frequency:

• 917 to 920 MHz

Transmission Power, Power Density, or Maximum Field Strength:

• In information channels (Hi Power Ch.): 25mW e.r.p
  • In the control channel (Ch. Bi Directional): 500mW e.r.p

Standards and Additional Limitations:

• (a) The wireless device will operate using LoRaWAN technology (IoT) and CSS modulation.
  • (b) The Duty Cycle of the wireless device during transmission will not exceed:
    • (1) In information channels, it will not exceed 1%;
    • (2) In the control channel, it will not exceed 10%.
  • (c) At frequencies lower than 917 MHz, the transmission power of the wireless device will not exceed -30dBm in RBW of 100 kHz.
  • (d) At frequencies higher than 920 MHz, the transmission power of the wireless device will not exceed -30dBm in RBW of 100 kHz.
  • (e) In receiving mode or any other mode (not transmission), the emitted signal strength outside the frequency band of 917 to 920 MHz will not exceed -47dBm e.r.p in RBW of 100 kHz.
  • (f) The stability of the RF carrier of the wireless device will not exceed 40ppm for at least 5 years.
  • (g) The wireless device will comply with standards: ETSI EN 300-220-1 and ETSI EN 300-220-2.
  • (h) The wireless device will comply with carrier RF frequency stability depending on a supply voltage of ±10% and temperature as per the following usage:
    • (1) General use: -20C to +55C;
    • (2) Mobile use: -10C to +55C;
    • (3) Indoor use: +5C to +35C.
  • (i) The wireless device will operate with a bandwidth of 125±10 kHz and will comply with a spacing of 200±10 kHz from the carrier wave.
  • (j) The wireless device will operate according to the working frequencies detailed in the table below:

• (k) The frequency on channel number 10 will be a fixed control channel, and the frequency on channel 8 will be an information channel or an additional control channel.
  • (l) Channels 1-2 will serve as default channels, and additional channels can be set as default channels as long as they are not defined as control channels.

Permitted Uses and Usage Limitations:

• Short Range Device (SRD) in a wireless system operating with LoRaWAN technology for applications in the IoT (Internet of Things) field.

Unfortunately this seems to be specifically designed for LoRaWAN, not just plain LoRa. Meshtastic uses different bandwidths, e.g. 250 kHz by default. So, we can’t easily add this as region without restricting the presets you can use.

Also it looks like there are only two channels of 125kHz with 10% duty cycle and relatively high Tx power (~27 dBm). For all others it’s 1% at ~14 dBm. You’ll hit the 1% duty cycle quite easily with Meshtastic.

If you use EU868 (which uses 10% duty cycle and 27 dBm output power) with frequency overriden to 918.7MHz or 919.1MHz and only use presets with 125kHz bandwidth, I think you comply to the regulations in Israel, but please double-check this yourself. For example, point (k) mentions that these channels should be control or information channels and the permitted use only mentions LoRaWAN, so it remains unclear to me if you can actually use it with plain LoRa.

1 Like

Sorry my bad :man_facepalming:
Here is the correct requirements translated to English-

Frequency band or frequency:
915 to 917 MHz

Transmission power, power density, or maximum field strength:
25mW e.r.p.

Standards and additional limitations:
(a) The transmission power of the wireless device at frequencies below 915 MHz shall not exceed -41.2 dBm with an RBW of 100 kHz.
(b) The transmission power of the wireless device at frequencies above 917 MHz shall not exceed -30 dBm when transmitting with an RBW of 100 kHz.
(c) In receive mode or any other mode (other than transmitting), the emitted signal power outside the 915-917 MHz frequency range shall not exceed -47 dBm with an RBW of 100 kHz.
(d) The Duty Cycle of the wireless device during transmission shall not exceed 1%.
(e) The wireless device shall operate with a maximum bandwidth of up to 200 kHz.
(f) The stability of the RF carrier shall not exceed 10 ppm for at least 5 years.
(g) The wireless device shall comply with RF carrier stability depending on the supply voltage of ±10% and temperature according to the following usage:
(1) General use (outdoor): -20°C to +55°C;
(2) Mobile use (outdoor): -10°C to +55°C;
(3) Indoor use: +5°C to +35°C.
(h) (Deleted)

Those seem very restrictive are there other bands around that are more open?
I would also suggest checking 433mhz regulations I remember reading something about them in Israel

Ok I found one more for 915 (which is technically for RFID) and 2 options for 433.
Please tell me what you think.

915 to 917 MHz

2W e.r.p.

(a) The wireless device will operate at a carrier frequency of 916.3 MHz.
(b) In transmission mode, the transmission power at frequencies below 915 MHz with a bandwidth of 100 kHz will be as follows:
(1) In the frequency band of 30 to 863 MHz, it shall not exceed -54dBm;
(2) In the frequency band of 863 to 915 MHz, it shall not exceed -41.2dBm.
(c) In receive mode or any other mode (other than transmitting), the emitted signal power at frequencies below 915 MHz shall not exceed -57dBm with an RBW of 100 kHz.
(d) In transmission mode, the transmission power at frequencies above 917 MHz with a bandwidth of 100 kHz shall not exceed -30dBm.
(e) In receive mode, or any other mode (other than transmitting), the emitted signal power at frequencies above 917 MHz shall not exceed -47dBm with an RBW of 100 kHz.
(f) The Duty Cycle of the wireless device during transmission shall not exceed 1%.
(g) (Deleted).
(h) (Deleted).
(i) The bandwidth in the transmission of the wireless device shall not exceed 400 kHz at its peak, and at -30dBc shall not exceed 800 kHz.
(j) The stability of the RF carrier of the wireless device shall not exceed 10ppm for at least 5 years.
(k) The wireless device shall comply with RF carrier frequency stability depending on the supply voltage of ±10% and temperature according to the following usage:
(1) General use (outdoor): -20C to +55C;
(2) Mobile use (outdoor): -10C to +55C;
(3) Indoor use: +5C to +35C.

433.05 to 434.79 MHz

1mW e.r.p.

(a) The maximum power density of a wireless device operating with a bandwidth greater than 250 kHz is -13dBm/10KHz;
(b) The wireless device must comply with the ETSI EN 300 220 standard;
(c) The implementation of data (video) signals is not permitted;
(d) The use of voice signals is permitted only with a maximum bandwidth of 25 kHz and a spectrum sharing mechanism such as LBT or equivalent. Voice signal transmission shall not exceed one minute per transmission.

Or

433.04 to 434.79 MHz

10mW e.r.p.

(a) The wireless device will operate with a maximum bandwidth of 25 kHz;
(b) The wireless device must comply with the ETSI EN 300 220 standard;
(c) The implementation of data (video) signals is not permitted;
(d) Voice signal applications are permitted only with a maximum bandwidth of 25 kHz and a spectrum sharing mechanism such as LBT or equivalent. Voice signal transmission shall not exceed one minute per transmission.

Hmm these bands might just be too restrictive to run meshtastic.
The default setting is 250 kHz and the duty cycle just running the mesh is easily over 1%

The 917-920mhz spectrum specifies LoRaWAN and while meshtastic uses LoRa modulation it’s runs as a mesh this is not the same as LoRaWAN.

What GUVWAF said is probably the best bet Long Range / Moderate might be able to comply but this is not legal advice it would pay to check with someone locally who understands the local regulations better than us.

2 Likes