Truly Open Source and Robust?

Greetings from Ireland.

I was wondering how the system works in an emergency situation. I know it is not the same as LoRaWAN, but does it use the same infrastructure? Crucially, should there be an emergency situation, will the wireless signal survive ensuring it provides a network once the phone and broadband infrastructure have failed?
Where does the signal come from? I assume it has been set up by someone or some organisation(s). Once these bodies are no longer in operation, how will the signal continue to broadcast? At least, will it continue?
The purpose of this system for many of us is to provide a network in the event of an emergency, such as weather outages and electricity cuts.
I just saw a YT Video

by Andreas Speiss, where he cites the US Government bemoaning LoRa as very dangerous anarchist/ terrorist networking - and we all know the US Government cannot be trusted. But if it is something governments oppose, can Meshtastic survive as an open source p2p system?
Anyone got any explanations?
Grateful, in advance,
CC.

1 Like

The title is clickbait, it is a good video.

1 Like

Clickbait? what do you mean, my friend?

It is designed to attract attention to the video.

Dear Garth,
I thought you meant that, just wanted to clarify you didn’t think my topic title was pretentious.
Any thoughts on my questions? Seems like, from your presence here, that you know the score.
ATB,
CC

There is a ton of info here https://meshtastic.org

Thank you. I will take a good look.
Regards,
CC.

In short : meshtastic is an off-grid, infrastructure free* system which allows point to point and point to mesh communications. You don’t need any infrastructure for it to work. The signals are generated from your device and are sent long distances to the grid or directly to your destination. It is only vulnerable to band overuse and active jamming (i suppose).

Thanks, Man.
I am getting my head around that. I began thinking about Marconi and how he set up wireless communication. I realised he was able to communicate between two points without infrastructure. I imagine LoRa is similar, if actually much more powerful than Marconi’s technology.
Thanks for that.