Side load android on Tdeck

Hey all, been playing around with a few devices and got my T-deck in the mail today, with the case from Etsy and a few little things I think I’ll be very happy with it.

Question though, is it possible to side load android to be able to run ATAK on the Tdeck? I’m impressed by the touch screen and form factor and think that it being an ATAK device would be the ideal role.

PS, for those not aware Meshtastic may cause a slight addiction.

1 Like

Hi there,
It doesn’t look like that would be possible, even running android 9 would need a minimum of 1.5 GB of RAM, at least a 1 GB of storage for the OS alone and a minimum processor clock of 1.2GHz. The ESP32-S3 only has a 240MHz clock and 520Kb of ram.

That does sound like a great idea tho. Running some form of ATAK would be awesome and maybe someone will write a simplified version that could run on the T-Deck without android.

1 Like

No, it is not. The T-Deck runs on an ESP32-S3 MCU, which is very, very far in performance from even the lowest end Android devices ever released, let alone modern Android.

Also, Android isn’t something you can just “sideload” - it needs to be compiled for the specific device, which takes a very long time (currently even on good hardware you’re looking at 6-8 hours compile time for AOSP).

1 Like

Well that’s unfortunate.