Serial over Meshtastic

I have a project in my mind which I would like to develop using LoRa and Meshtastic
My field of work is sports timing …
On sport timing events we use special chronometers on start and finish … This devices are capable to output data over serial ports …
Normally we use laptops connected to chronometers with special software …
What I would like to do is following, can you tell me if this is possible with Meshtastic.
On start I would like to have Meshtastic box connected to chrono device over serial port, Meshtastic would read data from serial and send this data over Mesh to last Mesh box, located in finish area, this node would read data and send it over serial to laptop …

There is a serial plugin available, may do what you are looking for Serial communication plugin | Meshtastic

Garth,

Thank you. Would this plugin also “output” the data over serial on the “last” mesh node which is connected to laptop on finish?

I have not played with it, but it looks like it can be configured to send the data as a test message. Message would be sent to all available nodes in the mesh.

The features are fairly minimal right now (send and receive text messages) but it’s built to be expandable so different modes of operation and functionality can be built without breaking backward compatibility.