Range test made with 2xttgo-Lora32-V1 weird result

I set up 2xttgo-Lora32-V1 firmware 1.1.48, one connected to PC via python API featuring comm protocol analisys to log NODEINFO_APP / POSITION_APP data, the other used to be moved along a testing urban path to see how far the signal could go. The mobile node actually gave direction and distance from the home position consistently till 1200mt far away. Each intermediate geo point with position and distance should have been recorded in a DB and mapped on a map at home python application connected to the home node. Unfortunately after I was back at home I noticed just 4 points mapped locally since after the 4th point recorded at 113mt distance with snr = -11.5 no further NODEINFO_APP / POSITION_APP was received by the home node. Since the mobile node showed distance an direction every NODEINFO_APP / POSITION_APP every 5 minutes consistently till 1200thosmt distance I expected to see the same at the home node but it was’nt like that. Why messages received in one direction are not received in the opposit direction? I do not understad the rason why. Any idea?

1 Like

I think I had read that the range plugin required both devices to have GPS at this point, as it pulled its data from the GPS directly and not the location set manually by the user.

1 Like

Or at least … I only tested it where the receiver and sender had a GPS. I think it should work where the sender has a hard coded last long or is paired with a phone, but I’m not so sure.

I think the receiver would require a gps because I’m calling the GPS library directly to get more frequent gps locks, but again I don’t know for sure because I didn’t test it without a GPS and couldn’t find where the GPS data would be copied in without a GPS.

Eventually I realized the reason of the result stated above. The catch is that the mobile node indicates on the oled screen bearing and distance based on the last NODEINFO_APP and POSITION_APP messages received so even though no such messages were received beyond 133mt distance, yet the mobile node continued to show the distance and bearing change till the end of my test. I verified this this morning where the home node was switched off. The mobile node showed the bearing, 5mt distamce and signal 95%. To avoid to be misled in these data the node shoud show bearing, distance and signal only if the last NODEINFO_APP message received is not older than 2*interval sending NODEINFO (in my case 10 minutes since I set that interval to 300 secs. being the default 15min)

Opened the node should show bearing, distance, signal only if the last NODEINFO_APP msg received is not older than 2*interval · Issue #717 · meshtastic/Meshtastic-device · GitHub

1 Like

I think the message buffer MC Hamster is working on will help with this as well since the nodes will be bale to retrieved missed messages that contian the needed data such as last GPS position

1 Like