Outdated Node Information

Hi

I have two nodes that were in reach. I then took one of the nodes with me to another city about 70 Kilometers away. The node was switched off. However, when I switched the node back on it still showed the connection to to the other node with updated location information (distance/direction). At first I thought it might keep historic data for a while to enable tracking „last seen“ location of previously discovered devices (which makes sense in an emergency if a node fails), but as kt also shows very strong signal strength (>60%) and there is definitively no signal I assume a bug? See image attached.

@geeksville As your request to flag you if we think you should see it I’ll do that here, as it might be a bug you want to be aware of. No need to go in deep explanations, just want to make sure you are aware.

Best
Grabmoix

ooh good point - I think our UI is a bit unclear here. It means “9 hours ago we last heard from this node, it was 69.4km away from our (current) position and we had a very high signal level.”

hmm - it sounds like instead, that if we haven’t heard from the node recently (a couple of hours?) we stop showing the signal level?

1 Like

I would set the signal level to either 0 or a special symbol for not in reach. That way its clear its historic data. 0 might be misleading though, as a node can be visible at a signal level of 0 - at least it was in my tests, thus a special symbol (or -1) might be better?
Also, maybe you could add a little symbol or indicator that this is historic information or indicate it by using dotted lines for the compass heading? Just an idea.

Also, why would you wait hours to reset the signal level? If he signal is not there this should be indicated anyways, not?

this autumn is useful information and it should be left. Can make an explanatory description for the user in the application.