Prototype App for viewing rangetest.csv

Haven’t managed to find a viewer for visualizing rangetest.csv (other than opening in Google Earth or similar, but typically just plots the nodes as points with no further visualization)

… so starting building my own. https://deformedweb.co.uk/meshtastic/read-rangetest.html

It takes a rangetest.csv file (only tested with the one from the Android App!), and plots all nodes on a zoomable OSM map; both your own (incase mobile!) - Red and remote notes - Blue, as well as drawing a line between them when messages.

Its just the “Export rangetest.csv” in the main menu. Haven’t looked at the one from the Range Test module yet.

All data is processed in browser, never uploaded. Can press Ctrl-U to view code.

Definitely just at the prototype at the moment, lots of features to add!

1. Date Range Filtering. Only see data from certain dates
  2. Click on a Node to only see contacts from that node (or if clicking a red only contacts received at that point)
  3. blue lines are currently just sized by hop-limit. Thinner lines imply they came further (as hop limit lower!). Could be sized/coloured by SNR (no RSSI alas!), and/or number of messages.
  4. Show node names (alas rangetest.csv only contains the long names - not the short name)
  5. rangetest.csv only includes names of senders currently in your node list. Should be able to upload older files to get the mapping of ids->name (at the time that file was made).
  6. Way to visualize nodes, when dont know location. (eg could show them as a ‘cloud’ around the receiving node)
  7. Search for a node (eg by name)
  8. could show the actual message payload(s) in the popup when click.

No idea if going to be possible, but seems like might be make a guess at when messages are multi-hop. Kinda like the traceroute attempts to do. Will be fun to try, as a ‘stretch goal’.

Any interest in further developing this? Feature requests/bug reports welcome

7 Likes

Really nice work, thank you for sharing with the community!

I typically load it into QGIS and analyze to my heart’s content, but it’s true the learning curve is quite steep (the tradeoff is very powerful geographical/db analysis and python automation). Thanks for sharing, this could be an easier way to go for less experienced users.

I have been looking for something like this for some time. Trying to get enthusiasm and use cases for the LoRa geeks in Singapore. 4G M2M SIMs are dirt cheap, and we do not anticipate the Zombie Apocalypse, so interest quickly drops off.

I would be very happy to provide resources for your development (I used to be a Linux guy, so unless you can give me bash and vi and awk on the ESP, I am no use in development).

What I would like is to take a device (with built-in GPS), put in my car, and drive around town for a week. Then postprocess rangetest.csv, so that for each node seen, I join the points where I saw it. Hopefully (we are a dense urban environment) I will start seeing curves.

If it works, I can then ask others to drive around with it, or take it on a daily commute, etc.

My target device is a Nano G2 Expolorer (has GPS, nice robust case). If it would help development, please let me know, I can reimburse you for one (or whatever other device would aid development).

New to Discourse, so please do email me at ghane0@gmail.com .

If anyone else would like a device to help barryhunter develop and polish this, please also email me.

Thank you for your work, and remember, no one expects the Zombie Apocalypse!

wRFs, Are you plotting both the sender and rx node, and some sort of line connecting them or just ‘points’ in QGIS?
… interesting if so, although I hope this can make interactive visualization with extra tweaks.

ghane, that is definitly what I was kinda thinking with the showing the nodes without a position as floating nodes connected to my node. If get connections from multiple locations would pin the location down a bit.
… not getting into accurate positioning with exact timings or anything, but definitly could see being able to get rough positions.

Dont need resources as such, other than testing, and discussion on ideas (to keep me interested!)
… as it happens I did another trip over the weekend with the device, so have more data to play with.

I like your tool Barry, much quicker than creating a Google Mymap, which is what I have been doing.

The display gets a bit messy when your range test route crosses back over itself, but I appreciate your work. I’ll keep checking back to see if you have made any improvements.

Rob