Private Channel

Hello everyone, I need to set up a closed group for an alert function, i.e. my own channel. The nodes are only allowed to receive messages from their own group. How do I set this up? I read somewhere that you need an open channel for the system to work at all. Something about swapping the primary and secondary channels? Sorry, I’m still getting used to Meshtastic

the most easy.
open channel is not necessary. the default channel is encryptet the same way as some private channel. only difference is: everyone has the password for default-channel (it is included in firmware)
make one own channel in app by entering channel name. so this channel is encrypted by its own password. set all devices on this channel by using qr code shown in app. no other channel needed !
so alle devices just decode messages from this channel.

if there is a lot of other meshtastic traffic, maybe set "only local "
in one of the apps menus. so your devices dont repeat messages of other channels (which they cannot decode, but will repeat undecoded to help other users.).

1 Like

OK, thank you very much, I’ll try it out. So I only have the one primary channel because I encrypt. The nodes also communicate via 2 routers. Here I leave the standard setting so that nodes outside the group can also use it. Is this correct?

yes !
the routers will repeat all messages of the same modem setting , also of other channels with other name and therefore other password. !
the routers will alos repeat everything, even if the routeres themself are on their own private channel.
thsi works , as long as the channel options are the same (long/fast, or long/slow… taken from the presets of firmware.).

if you edit the modem settings, the devices cannot communicate. “long fast, will not talk to long slow”…

1 Like

OK, I’ll leave the router on the default settings so that the community can communicate through it. I put the alarm nodes on their own channel. Try it out tomorrow. They are no longer publicly visible.

I think it works, all 12 Heltec V3s set up and so far only traffic within the group. Thanks for the help

Ok, things basically work. Only have one primary channel with its own channel name. The nodes only see their own group. The message flow works, even if the shipping confirmation arrives a bit quickly for me. But actually all messages were delivered. What I noticed. In a location with poor coverage, the iOS app showed the message as delivered, but light blue on a blue background. The remaining messages are all white on a blue background. And exactly this light blue message had not reached any other nodes. A little difficult to see as an acknowledgment of receipt. Another question: If I request traceroute on iOS: do I just get no reception, or are the routers/repaeters no longer listed at all (although direct is not possible due to the topography) with only one prom channel?

Well, each closed group has its own primary channel. If you need an MQTT gateway to connect to the Internet, you can’t share a single gateway, but each swarm should have its own gateway?And in what areas is the position message visible?