Power RAK19003/RAK19007

Hi,

I just received a 4 slot 18650 board that has 3V/1A and 5V/3A outputs.

I’d like to use that as main power source for a node. From what I understood from the RAK Datasheets the best (or only?) way to do this would be to solder a connector with wires onto the 5V output pads and connect that into the solar power input of the RAK baseboard? That way the charge controller of the baseboard won’t attempt to charge the battery. It also leaves the USB port of the baseboard free for serial stuff.

Now to my actual questions:

• is the 3V/1A enough? or do I need the 5V/3A?
  • is there another way to power the baseboard (not via solar in)
  • has anyone figured out how the solar in gets used? - Like: Can I preserve the battery when USB is connected to the baseboard?

There are a host of issues with this if you are planning to run a bunch in parallel, I would recommend using a single 18650 with a protection circuit.

I’m planning on using this: diymore Battery Shield V9 5V/3A 3V/1A Erweiterungskarte mit Micro-USB Typ C kompatibel ESP32 WLAN https://amzn.eu/d/b9BjSP8

Basically a DIY power bank.

I assume it has USB C? Use that.

It has, I was just wondering if there’s a „better“ way that keeps the usb port on the base board „free“ for firmware flashing and serial stuff. In order to not have to disassemble all of it every time I make changes.

Edit: although the RAK base boards should be able to update firmware over BLE? And should I ever put a raspberry in the same box I still can use the Serial Pins on the base board to „talk to it“?