Open hardware board?

I’m interested in the idea of running Meshtastic on Open-source hardware.

Is there any obvious problem in plugging this board:

Into this shield LoRa ESP32 DEV KIT v1 shield for EByte E32 E22 RF 8km-12km range - Share Project - PCBWay

And trying to get Meshtastic running?

The only issue with that board interfaces with SPI, Meshtastic only supports UART as far as I know.

You could still use that ESP32 with something like this:

1 Like

@sam_uk
I also looked at these Olimex boards but did not like the selection or available GPIO’s and the price

And i wanted to try out different options to the already documented DIY Meshtastic devices

You must still add

I2C Oled
SPI LoRa Module
and
optional Serial GPS module

instead I used these other options for a prototype DIY Meshtastic device

GPS (9600 baud Serial)
U-BLOX SAM-M8Q

LoRa 433Mhz Transceiver Module (SPI)
RA-01

LoRa 868Mhz Transceiver Module (SPI)
RFM95W LoRa Module

ESP32 Dev Board with ESP32-WROOM-32 4M

New version
ESP32 Test Board Burner Development Board WIFI Module For For ESP-WROOM-32

And Tiny board

M5Stack STAMP PICO DIY Kit ESP32-PICO-D4 ESP32

Next i want to look at using a NRF52840 and SPI Screen and LoRa (SPI)

1 Like

Did you look at this one: Meshtastic Lite - EasyEDA open source hardware lab

Or maybe a C3 version EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit Design Tool

hi, will look at them, thank you

been busy mostly with e-ink on nrf82540 I added support for RAK6431

1 Like
1 Like

Yes, have seen that a while ago

Im testing 3.71inch 416x240 e-ink on Nordic nRF52840 Dongle_nRF52840-pca10059-v1
No LoRa radio connected at all yet

2 Likes

This one might be useful, but no explicit license:

Yes, i also seen this design previously, it has Arduino code

I was looking at possibly trying the SDD1327 at some stage

1 Like

I’m interested in getting a minimal open hardware board (no gps, no screen, no wifi) and adding wireless charging so that it can be completely waterproofed. It could then be paired with a solar panel, or battery with wireless charging.

1 Like

Lots of possibilities out there.

I think for many people it becomes a matter of economics. Sometimes a mass produced board with features you don’t need is going to be cheaper than other options.

Why is this your goal? There are various ratings for ability to resist water intrusion. Are you planning on operating these devices submerged under water? My home is far from ‘waterproof’ but for day to day life it does really well at keeping things ‘dry’.

I’m interested in deploying solar repeater networks. I live in a damp environment. Experience has taught me that water & heat are the enemies if you want something to actually work for more than a couple of months. Seen too much of this

1 Like