MQTT for bigger coverage?

Hi guys,

I noticed this image on MQTT | Meshtastic

I’m interested in creating a large (public) coverage in my home town. Am I correct that if I configure dedicated Meshtastic devices (as a router?) and connect them to the default mqtt server, they will also re-broadcast messages over Meshtastic that are coming through mqtt?

So let’s say I’m near a router that i’ve set up to use MQTT, broadcast a message on the default Long/Fast channel, will it be broadcasted by one of my other routers that are on the same MQTT topic? If not, what are options to improve coverage (intended for public usage)

Thanks!

1 Like

If you connect them to the default server, and connect LongFast, you will be rebroadcasting the whole world’s messages. That’s probably not what you want.

One solution here might be to run your own MQTT server for your town and use that to link your nodes together. That way you can rebroadcast LongFast but in a reasonable way for your purposes.

The other solution is to have a channel for your town, and share the key around, and not downlink longfast. But this requires you to communicate with all users in your town…

I’m in the middle of doing something similar, but for my whole country.

1 Like

I would suggest trying to avoid mqtt/internet bridges if you can. The whole point of meshtastic is the mesh. Try to install a router_client node up high in your town and use that to connect your town. Only if you then want to bridge a far away mesh to your mesh then you utilize the mqtt connection.