Heltec Wireless Tracker

Good morning, I have a Heltec Wireless Tracker, with firmware 2.2.17 installed, I have enabled GPS from Android and selected smart position, but the GPS doesn’t work, does anyone have the same problem?

Initial GPS lock can take 15-30 minutes and requires a very clear few of the sky usually. Other users have also reported that this device’s GPS does not do well indoors.

Hi, thanks for the reply, but I think it’s a problem with the Android app. On settings, position the default PINs for GPS are RX 15 and TX 13 for this module they are tx 33 and RX 34.

1 Like

The bme280 sensor also doesn’t work, the PINs are 41 and 42 but by connecting the sensor the module doesn’t restart. For this I have not found a solution.

Hi All,

I having the same issue to get the GPS enable on my Heltec Wireless Tracker. Can you check my config is correct as below.

GPS Pin
RX pin 34
TX pin 33
Enable Pin - 37

Thanks

GPS works for me with these settings.

Cheers,

Got it to work - by swapping the pin around. RX33 &TX34.

Hello,
what is the functional gps pin combination for 2.2.24?
Heltec tracker 1.1
Thank you

Hi, GPS RX pin 33, GPS TX 34

1 Like

Having same issue.
Set for 33, 34, 37. Get antenna symbol but still says No Sats.
It looks like pin 37 in v1.1 is no longer the BGNSS_Ctrl.

Pin-out for v1.0

Pin-out for 1.1 - only one i could find, not simple.

Note: added external GPS antenna to test and no different.
Yes full sky visabilty, nothing blocking it.

Update:
GNSS chip is more sensitive once it gets a lock.
Pre-LOC requirement is -148db for acquisition and -162db for tracking.
I have tested that once this gets acquisition and LOC that the tracking will work in some indoor instances (barn) or heavy tree canopy. It just needs 15 min of cloudless sky access or 30 min if its heavy clouds. I can’t explain why this is not as sensitive as other GPS modules but it is what it is. Hope this helps others.
FYI, mine worked with RX33 & TX34 with EN pin 0.
If the GPS is on and these settings are correct you will get on one screen ^No Sats and the next screen will display No GPS Loc.

I have had some correspondence with Heltec and it looks like on v1.1 pin 3 may be the GNSS_CTRL but its labeled VEXT_CTRL so per their instructions I am testing the PIN_GPS_EN as 3 to see if that will extend battery life on the tracker when in light or deep sleep.