GPS configuration / Firmware update access

Dear all,

I just wanted to know if there is some way to access to GPS directly via the T-Beam usb port, in order to change configuration and/or update GPS firmware.

Is the latter even possible with this board? I’m looking especially for M8N 3.01 firmware with Galileo support, but lilygo or other providers don’t know firmware version. So if it is possible to update it, I wouldn’t have to bother with it before buying.

Best regards

1 Like

I’ve had success using the TBeam as a serial pass through to access the M8N and change settings. I haven’t tried a firmware update but might give it a go and let you know. My sketch is very simple. It ideally needs to control the AXP192 as at the moment I turn the gps on with meshtastic then upload the pass through sketch and launch U Center.

This is what I get for the firmware version on my T-Beam with the M8N GPS. Looks like it is already at 3.01. Bonus!

TBeam M8N Firmware

2 Likes

This is my sketch for the Arduino IDE. You have to install the the ESP32 under Boards Manager first.

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial1.begin(9600, SERIAL_8N1, 34, 12, false, 1000);
}

void loop() {
  if (Serial.available()) { 
    Serial1.write(Serial.read());
  }

if (Serial1.available()) {
    Serial.write(Serial1.read());
  }
}
2 Likes

The two T-Beams that I just received have uBlox neo-6m chips, which don’t support Galileo. I’d check with the seller to verify the chip that is being shipped as well.

It seems there are at least 4 variations with the 2 newer versions having the AXP192, three buttons and either a 6M or M8N. The 6M version has an SMA connector for LoRa while the M8N is IPEX and flylead. Worth looking for the newer version with the M8N I reckon. 6M M8N

Through together a PR for docs w/ the suggestions

1 Like

Nice work! I should do that more often as well, keep the docs up to date.