DIY Node Build Advice

Hey there,

I am attempting to build my own custom node (on a custom pcb)with the following hardware:

• nRF52840
  • SX1262 (I wanted to use a E22-900M30S, however Australia has a 30dbm (1w) EIRP limit. If have a gizont nb-iot antenna (+6dbm) does that mean I will be over the limit?)
  • OLED or E-ink screen
  • GPS (Still have to decide on model)
  • Onboard charge and LiPo protection circuit
  • Buttons for navigation

I am wondering if I need to have a separate chip for flash storage? Also is there anything else that I may need/want?

1 Like

I wrote a blog about DIY node but it’s for ESP32 It might help you out

Meshtastic DIY - How To Build Your Own Meshtastic Node ESP32 & Lora Radio

Super cool blogpost.

How would I add to the board let’s say a Light Sensor and a Notification LED, to send some extra data through Meshtastic or to turn on the LED when some data is received.

How would I add this to the board and its firmware?

To add light you can check Meshtastic docs “External Notifications”

For sensors
Check “ Telemetry Module Configuration”

thanks a lot.
Will check the documentation you pointed me to.

Does any one know if an extra 8-16mb flash chip is required for meshtastic on a nRF52840? The nRF52840 already has 1mb of flash.

Hi,
I’m very interested following what you come up with. I’m designing something with a similar set of hardware.

Not required the onboard 1mb flash is used for Meshtastic.

There is already discord group discussions and other posts here on the forum around use of the NiceNano clone and Xiao NRF82540 as the use of the bare NRF82540 requires more skill and effort

1 Like

Cheers, I plan to use a holyiot 18010 for the base of my project. This should mean I don’t have to worry about ble antennas and other nrf52840 circuits.

I found this single NRF82540+SX1262 module while ago
This is a breakout for evaluation i have already running as it came without any bootloader

Hello i was wondering if i could use this device with an esp 32 to make my own diy board

RYLR896 Lora Module SX1276 UART 868MHz 915MHz Antenna at Command FCC NCC

or do i need to get another type? i know that this board is an UART and not an spi interface

No that module appear to be Serial (UART) - AT command set not SPI - RadioLib requires SPI based LoRa Mdoule used for Meshtastic

thankyou, i was able to de-solder the main chip and i have the spi pinout so i am going to try and solder jumper wires to the points to get it to work

1 Like