Creating a LoRa hub on top of a building

Hello, congrats to Meshstastic (and community) for its hard work.

We are a group of EmComm enthusiasts and we recently got the autorization to install various telecom devices on top of the highest tower in the region.

LoRa is of high interest and for the time being we have a Dragino LPS8 Gateway (868), a Lilygo v1.1 TTGO (868 fw Meshstastic) and a Heltec V3 (433).

The idea would have been to have a relay and it seems that the Dragino Gateway will only be usable with TTN (a Lilygo with original fw could connect to it). Am I correct or is there somewhere hidden an unofficial Meshstastic fw?

Now, the Lilygo we have is on 868 MHz and could act as Meshstastic relay (by setting it in this mode) and replace the Dragino for this purpose?

The Heltec is on 433 MHz, which propagates a little better than 868 MHz. Could it be used also as a (Meshstastic) relay, so we cover both bands?

Our first goal would be to exchange SMS style messages (as pagers).

I hope I am not too vague in my first post on this forum, but it’s hard for me to glue all infos I collected here and there…

Thank you for your hints.

Could it be used also as a (Meshstastic) relay, so we cover both bands?

If you have two separate Meshtastic units, one on 433 and one on 868 they they can relay the two Meshtastic bands, yes. You may find repeater/router options interesting but you don’t have to do that, clients seems to work well to extend the network

Probably not if you are using its LoraWAN capability

According to this post

LoraWAN and the LoraP2P used by Meshtastic are very different LoraWAN as a solution for extending Meshtastic’s LoRa coverage is not an option. LoraWAN has a lot of rules we don’t want to concern ourselves with. MQTT is the way to bridge the two.

Thank you very much for your hints

23 mars 2024, 20:06 de notifications@meshtastic.discoursemail.com: