Battery protection circuit?

Hello,
I’ve been really into this project for a month or so now and am almost ready to buy all the hardware (T-Beam, soldering iron, etc.). I realized that 18650’s are used in vape pens and so I can easily pick up a few from a store down the block. The batteries are unprotected though. Does the " LILYGO® TTGO Meshtastic T-Beam V1.1 come with charge protection or should I get protected batteries? I just want to make sure I don’t burn my house down.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

The tbeams include the axp192 power management chip which includes protection.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m really excited to range test and will be adding my results to the thread once I get around to it. Hopefully in the future I can contribute code as well.

2 Likes

Sorry to hijack the topic, you mentioned range test.

I’m working on a plugin to help with range and coverage testing. It’s not yet live but could I ask you to read the docs? Does it make sense? Would you have any questions after reading it?

I was going to test the plugin today but it’s raining outside and being indoors with warm coffee sounded a lot more appealing.

3 Likes

Sorry I wasn’t at my computer. I will read this 100% and get back to you.

It makes sense to me. It’s great that you have a program that can do that, hopefully it links GPS coordinates to where the packet was received to save the hassle of doing it by hand. I have no idea how to install plugins, but I think that’s a me problem. I’ll familiarize myself further with the code.

Yes, it saves the hassle of doing it by hand.

It’s not ready for prime time. I’ll write up better instructions when it is. Just wanted to make sure it was clearly written.

Cheers, Thanks!

2 Likes

That’s a really nice and helpful plugin, thank you. I hope it will soon be integrated into one of the “release” firmwares, and I will use it.

Two quick questions:
You write “For basic usage, you will need two devices both with a GPS”. Why? Won’t it work if I have one “gps_operation: GpsOpStationary”, " fixed_position: true" node which I set using “–setlat” and “–setlong”?

Just out curiosity, why do you send separate messages in your plugin? To my understanding “location_share = 1” and “position_broadcast_secs = 60” already send location updates, and your plugin would just need to extract GPS information from those updates and store them in a file.

Good point on both. I’ll update the docs.

Thanks!