Anyone interest in handheld hardware device?

PMR voice 868 + LORA 868/915 module running android 7, 8 or 9 + meshtastic APP. No 4G LTE. I send them email for picture and data, when company is back from new year closing, they responding. I also ask possible the unit run linux or open droid. Unit is development stage, not produced, yet.

1 Like

What sort of development support would the company be able to provide to port our device software to that platform? Linux support is mostly there, just hasn’t been really used in a while. I don’t know what it would take to run this on Android.

1 Like

Just after Christmas i made contact and send 3 emails, after those 3 the company where closed until mid January. Main while i send 2 emails company be reading coming weeks. I pointed them to mashtastic APP to run. And share some personal ideas i have. I wait there replay. It wil be android or linux, First like to wait what they able to get done, second i ask if the support, that time i make contact and if you like, pointing direct to you for further development, if you like short go i not need in between, mashistic its your idea to pick it up further.
First let us wait there respond if they like open source cooperation. Still all is fresh, new, starting point it could leed to any where. For info, i did this kind cooperating before with a ham projects some years ago, and that become a success but no warranty about this idea, need some enthusiastic company who see it for marketing and willing pick it up :slight_smile: Be aware it can take some months.

Right on. If they want any pointers for development support, they know where to find us.

1 Like

I think it’s best if a representative from their company makes a thread here where they gather suggestions and ask questions to understand the community’s needs.

Yes they know, my first email in december pointed to this forum :slight_smile:
I leave this topic, when news i come back

1 Like

You could also point out that according to @sexycyborg AGM

May make a rugged Android phone with LoRa & Meshtastic built-in if enough people from the forum contact them, it might give your company an incentive to be first to market

I am not a company 73’s

Sure, I should have written ‘the company you are in contact with’

Sam, what i did last 45 years, is bringing groups of people and ideas together. I fully understand you are saying i love the way you bring it forward typical english humor and we dutch know how to handle that perfectly.
If you are interested to make your own ideas in to a product, i be happy to point out the direction. First you go to Alibaba or other Chinees business website, search for: “manufacturer for 868 radio or lora radio”. After the search completed you contact the companys you found by using email or skype and share some ideas with there sales or development department. On they end the company give you a minimum MQT before the company able start production. You go to your bank to ask them for money or perhaps the Chinees company accepting bitcoin. Now you are on the way to start your own new business model. If you are young and have a life in front of you, go for it because this may a change you only get ones in your life time. My advice its free of any charge i be your first customer who will buy your product in about 6 - 8 months from now?

1 Like

I was earning a bit from Disaster Radio sales until Meshtastic came along and was better than us.

(Disclosure that’s an affiliate link, for humor)

WO2 we got some of these lamps using a swing to light up a bicycle lamp,

1 Like

Nice lamp :slight_smile:

I agree the off-grid walkie-talkie/LoRa would be a nice product.

I think the phone is likely to get more user adoption & I’m more excited about it personally, but it’s a different device, with a different use case.

1 Like

Agree, a phone with LORA be very nice but i dont like google or Apple peeking in to my contact list or tracking using my wifi footprint. Get young and elderly a simple off the grid communication device without cost and if someone else pick it up, that be great i buy it instantly.

2 Likes

I assume we’d get /e-os/ running on that Chinese smartphone. But, yes a mobile carrier will still track you if you connect to their network.

Very interested - particularly if it’s Lorawan-first texting device that can easily run meshtastic. Rugged/long-batter-life would be great.

Android
MediaTek MT7620A
Semtech SX1308
868 MHz / 915 MHz
16 MB SPI NOR
128 MB DDR2
SMA female
Display
USB
OpenWrt if needed
Optional: 10/100 Mbps

The android app uses google location services so an AOSP based distribution would need some work done.

2 Likes

Would this handheld device need voice, or just text/map/location capabilities?

The actual idea is both, where text have the priority for wide range of users
1e text messaging service over LORA using meshtastic APP and FW
2e voice analogue or digital FCC - CEPT (as optional for short range PMR use)

1 Like