Alpha tester thread (1.1.8 device code ready for alpha testing) šŸ™‚

I havenā€™t posted much as a tester because I am still in the early stages and learning. But Iā€™m having problems with the setup.

Current setup is two T-beamā€™s v1, 7.6 bin.
Android App 0.7.75
Galaxy Tab A Android 9
ZTE Z812 Phone with Android 5.1
Tracfone Blu B100DL Phone Android 9
(Iā€™ll admit to buying the throw-away phones in the past, just for the Android!)

Currently, the Galaxy Tab connects, and the app works sending messages as it should. Although, sometimes I have to reset the T-Beams to get them to appear as a connect option in the app.,

The ZTE, which always has connected with Bluetooth, still does, but the app doesnā€™t connect to the T-Beams anymore. It did connect and send and receive messages a few versions ago.

The Blu B100DL has, and still does connect with Bluetooth, but no versions of the android app have ever connected to the T-Beams with it. I thought maybe it was just the cheap phone setup.

Sorry, Iā€™m not giving more technical details, but this is my limited experience.
Thanks for all your hard work on this amazing project!

1 Like

re: the phones that donā€™t connect anymore
Can you try going to android settings / bluetooth / connected devices and choose to forget the meshtastic devices and then re-pair? I think this new load might cause the devices to pick new private keys.

Iā€™ve already tried that numerous times with no success.

1 Like

hmm bummer. Would you mind doing the following with the ZTE and Tracfone?

Start the app, try to connect to the tbeam. Then wait about 30 seconds (to capture some tasty logs) then click ā€œreport bugā€? Tonight Iā€™ll pull the bugs from the google console and open github issues. Is thomslik also your github name?

Done. Yes same name.

I am reproducing this while developping and pushing directly the update on my phone (Android 6.0).

To fix the issue, I need to :

1. forget the bluetooth device
  2. disable bluetooth, enable it after
  3. go back to the app
  4. Click reset button on the radio
  5. and I see the radio available in the app.
2 Likes

ooh interesting! @thomslik can you try this and report back?

App Firmware - 0.7.75
Device Firmware - 0.7.6
Hardware - TTGO lora v2

To connect to device cleared cache and data of the app.
Send/Recieve messages(try long messages) and possition- OK. Duplicating outgoing messages remained(only in app- first message after wakeup).

Tracfone Blu:
T-Beam v1,7.6 bin
Android App 0.7.76
Phone upgraded to 0.7.76.
Cleared cache and data of the app.
Unpaired everything in Bluetooth, Turned it off, then back on. Repaired device.
App just shows None as a choice, you havenā€™t paired a Meshtastic radioā€¦
Reset T-Beam, same result. Turned it off and restarted, same.
Unpaired and repaired, same.
Sent another bug report.

ZTE Z812 Phone with Android 5.1
Same latest versions of app and bin.
Did all the same resets, etc.
App shows the connected T-beam, but itā€™s greyed out and not selectable. Also shows the non paired T-Beam as a choice. It wasnā€™t connectable and later disappeared.
Sent another bug report.

Finally got the above ZTE working with the app after numerous clearing caches, bluetooth unpair, off/on repair. T-Beam reset combinations! Still trying with the Tracfone Blu.

So mysterious. Sorry you had this experience. When I get the log Iā€™ll look at it and try to figure out what was up)

Maybe related to the location:
When I turn off the location in my Android 6.0 phone, I am not able to see a radio in the list

2 Likes

oh yes @thomslik can you confirm you have location permission enabled for the app? (android settings /apps / meshtastic /permissions)

BLE scan (per android rules - because seeing BLE devices could ā€˜leakā€™ location info to apps) requires the location access be allowed. I thought I had the app put up a warning message if this permission was missing but perhaps that notification is missing?

also make sure location access is enabled at the top level android settings shortcut button/toolbar. Video from a friend:

1 Like

Yes. Location permission is enabled on all phones and the working Galaxy Tablet.

1 Like

thanks. and just to be clear - also enabled per the video I just linked?

1 Like

Thanks. Correction. It was turned off at the top level android settings in the Tracfone Blu! Trying it again now.

Success with the Tracfone Blu! Thanks a million! I cant believe it was something so simple, which I had overlooked.

1 Like

well - thank you because you taught us of a bug that I bet explains many of the BLE connection problem complaints. Tonight Iā€™ll add a warning if you have location services turned off.

2 Likes

fix 0.7.77 just pushed to play store - thanks lg for noticing this bug!