Adding GPS to Heltec Wireless Paper?

Just wondering if anyone has looked at adding a GPS to the Heltec Wireless paper?

There is a Silabs CP2102 chip, a USB connector, with an ESP32-S3. Assuming many gps models use serial, I am not sure if it is as easy as just tapping into the CP2102 rx/tx/gnd pins?

I am a bit curious too.

Does Meshtastic configure the GPS in any way, if it does not then you dont need the TX pin, from the Heltec to the GPS, just the RX will do ?

1 Like

It does write to the GPS, at least for some GPS models. I’m not sure if that’s true for every model though.

I am not sure if it is as easy as just tapping into the CP2102 rx/tx/gnd pins?

Rather than using the CP2102 RX/TX pins, I think(?) the GPS code uses a separate UART port, which is then mapped to whichever GPIO pins you set in your config.

Maybe it’s helpful to look into how people are setting up GPS for Heltec V3, as it’s essentially the same board.

Hi guys.
Thank you for the tip. It works properly with GPIO37. See attached pic.

Cool… what GPS module did you use?

It is an inexpensive module from AliExpress that was meant for another device so it is small size.
But it works ok.

TZT GPS+BDS
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EIvkfVV

1 Like

Thanks… so you just connected up the RX pin to GPIO37 and didn’t bother with the TX as some others mentioned in previous posts?

This is correct. Just the RX (it is TX on GPS module to RX on the heltec board) to GPIO37 and redefined the RX pin in the position settings to 37 and it worked.