Voice Communication with 2.4Ghz net possible?

Hi there,

i am writing here as a total noob who just got to know lora and meshtastic, and read through the documentation.
For the last years i am trying to find an alternative to tradidional ham radios - in my usecase for voice communication in a group for example on motorcycle trips.
i did some experiments with bluetooth comunication, but failed quite bad because of the complexity of the bluetooth stack in combination with esp32 and the bad range between the devices.

I now have found that there is a way to transmit audio with meshtastic (Audio Module Configuration | Meshtastic on the 2.4ghz network at least) wich made me wonder if this could be used to build some kind of a voice communication system?

Since i do not (yet) own lora devices i cannot try the audio transmit function. How is this ment to be used? Is it possible to create a voice com system with this? Ant what range could i expect from a system like this?

Thank you so much for clarification, and sorry for this uneducated question.

Cheers!

I wouldn’t put that on Lora’s side.

But in ESP32 type diveces I would like to see PTT type communication with ESP-NOW wifi mesh network. Would take advantage of ESP32 existing wifi circuit.

hi, can you elaborate on this a little bit more?
Thanks a lot!

Hey @pcace , I’m also interested in the same use-case, will dig into ESP-NOW’s Mesh Wifi.
Did you find anything relevant?

not yet - i am still waiting for hardware and need to finish some other projects first

1 Like