Restarting Issue with RAK4631 Solar Node

Hi Foum,

I have a weird issue with a solar node im trying to run. The Node runs for maximum of 48 hours, then the whole things “hangs up” and does not work anymore. Battery and Solar Power is fine. I can only get it back into working state when I flash a UF2 Cleaner to wipe Meshtastic completely and then reinstall the UF2 Firmware. I have MQTT and all things that could consume memory disabled. First I thought it might be the RAK4631 itself, so i bought a new one. Same Problem. Then I changed the Baseboard, also same problem. I tried the last 3 Firmware versions now, up to the newest Alpha. The Problem persists.

When it’s in its “locked” state and I connect it to my PC via USB, it connects and after 3-4 seconds looses connection and connects again, like it’s stuck in a constant restart loop. Getting into DFU Mode is no problem. I tried it also without any Sensors / GPS etc. connected still with the same problem.

Any Idea what could be the cause of this?

Thanks!

Try using protected battery.

RAK solar node automatic restart, after brownout, upon eventual solar re-charge??
Solar powered node, protected vs unprotected li-ion cel, does it always need a reset?

Maybe I should have noted that I am using a protected battery with cutoff configured. I saw the second post you linked, I don’t think i have a similar problem. My Battery is running with a protection circuit and the temperature here is not that hot. Inside the housing it was at a maximum of 37°C.

edit
Also when i reflash, i don’t need to recharge the battery. It’s still 90% full. So there is no brownout or battery cutoff happening in between running and dying. Similar is that it seems to “loose” it’s firmware though.

Are the batteries new?

Yes, i also tried 2 different protected lipos from different manufacturers already.

I’ve been following a recent thread on Discord regarding the filesystem of NRF devices becoming corrupt if shutdown or rebooted during a filesystem write.