RAK Wisblock Solar Repeater - Shottky dode required?

I have two RAK repeaters out in the hills and while they are not completely self sufficient I’m not far off. I’m pretty certain (but could be wrong) that while the solar panel receives no light there is a power leak back to the panel from the RAK Wisblock module. I measured this but can’t remember and they’re back out on the hills. I may pop in a Shottky diode but has anyone confirmed a leak?
Panel is 5V 150mA and battery 3000mAh 18650. I’ll be updating the panel to 250mA. I won’t be going the big panel route, these need to be discrete/low impact, and yes bluetooth turned off.

1 Like

If I remember correctly there is a diode on the 19007 solar input to stop drain to the panel. Not sure about the original however.

Thanks. I’ll be checking this over once I retrieve my dead repeater (sigh). I’ll block off the panel and measure any leakage again.

Turning off bluetooth won’t give you any extra run time.

I’m about to embark on the same project, using a 250ma panel and 10000mah lipo.

How did you get on?

Och…I’ve not had time to rectify the two dead repeaters on the hills, however I have found and added larger 300ma (1.65W) panels along with bigger enclosures to my shopping cart on Aliexpress. I suppose I could pop an even larger panel on but I would probably need to mount the panel on a separate piece of abs plastic. Purchase will be in the next week or so and then the inevitable long wait.

Ok so they did die in the end. Maybe the 250ma panel will not be beefy enough, I actually have 2 of them so I am thinking it might be best to wire them in parallel to give me 500ma.

I have a plan to make a birdbox as a disguise casing.

Yes, with a 150ma panel they last nearly 2 months in summer (here in Scotland). I was about to get the 250ma panel but may still buy and try the 300ma. You’re right I may even wire up 2 x panels and mount on plastic.
Luckily I have these placed in remote areas on wood posts but one was pulled out and they put it back in pointing away from the sun! The enclosures have mounting holes so they’re simply screwed into the posts. Posts will be replaced for longer ones so they can’t be pulled out (no trees). Unless they have a screwdriver it would be hard to steal (or appear not worth the effort).
I’ve also another 2 x RAK modules in the shopping basket to extend the mesh and go around some blind spots in the hills.

What sort of range are you seeing? This is very interesting stuff!!

Not tested range yet, but no problems at current 2-3 miles. I’ll know when one gets installed on the far mountain that has a huge moorland range below.

1 Like

I’ve been using a Wisblock with the RAK enclosure with embedded solar panel. Im using a 3000mah battery. So far the device has been active for a month and stil at 90% charge. I am in So Cal USA so the days have been mostly sunny. The device is located on a small hill and I have been able to communicate over 6 miles in the city.
LOS distances are even greater.

2 Likes

My results from testing; 500mA solar + 10400mAH battery in UK winter conditions, rigged up temporary on a window sill is that it is consuming 3% every 2 weeks. I suspect a nice bright sunny day might top the battery back up again. At least that is what I am hoping!

2 Likes

That is a big battery! Going to purchase mine now (400mA/2W) and pop 2x18650’s in (6400mAh). If those die I’ll have to go really big on the solar and figure a new mount separate to the box. Did you keep bluetooth on? I know they don’t consume much but it feels like I’m scrabbling for pennies.

I didnt think the battery was that big. LOL.
I did leave BT on so I could interface without having to remove it from it’s mount.

The device is now at 89% with mostly sunny days so my next upgrade will be a larger panel.

@LozC, @Baccaruda I am running the big battery - 10400mAH. With 500mA of solar, I think I need a larger panel too. What are you both looking at in terms of panel?

I do leave Bluetooth on for administrative purposes, and I intend to once the device goes into the field so I can pop back and change settings easily if required.

1 Like

Even though the solar enclosure Rockland sells is still keeping my repeater powered I have decide to upgrade the panel to something a little larger. The attached image has the specifics.

BTW I have also been able to make a standalone version using the Heltec V3 module and CardKB. I have the same setup for the T-Beam. In both cases I upgraded to a larger display.

‘Birdbox’ haha I had the exact same idea lying in bed one night. With a gable roof & place just right you might pick up morning and afternoon sun.

1 Like

Hi,

How have you achieved this? I have exactly the same set up and when it goes dark the device stops broadcasting despite having a full battery. Bluetooth still works so I can reboot the node to start it broadcasting again. Sun comes up, no problems, sun goes down, stops broadcasting again. I thought maybe I had a bad board so I ordered an identical kit. This time I connected my own solar panel via the JST connector just like the RAK enclosure and it does exactly the same. Thanks.

That is very unusual, for the node to stop broadcasting when dark. You could try a controlled environment (at home turning panel to sun/face down). Is it the panel? Can you use debug log (I’ve no idea how to use that by the way).

New solar panel fitted (5v 400mA / 2W) and deployed. I’ve noticed straight away an improvement in charging. Its only been a few days with not much sun but on the cloudy days it’s kept the same charge.
The reason I’ve not gone big (eg 5W) is I’d like to keep a small discrete profile whilst avoiding wind effects (open heather hillside).
I’ll update in a month or so.