Many local spots (shared by one link) united in one global network for sailors. Is it possible?

Firstly I would like to say Hello to everybody! I like the idea of a world without limits and interested in Lora/meshtastic technology for our purposes. We are sailors and it’s pretty good to have a possibility to communicate with anyone who travel on a boat everywhere.

My question is about topology of the networks: will it work if we create one group and share link in public for every sailor who want to join the group, no matter where he/she located. (New member just should buy a node and connect to the group using public shared link or code)
The main idea, people connected to one group in many places in the world will be automatically join the sailors meshtastic community and be able to support each other and get important information for particular spot (because of the short range of the local spot members of the one island (local place) will not interfere with another spots. Does it work ?
I understand we can use independent group for each particular place. But idea of really almost global network where no matter where you are, just to have somebody from you group and be able to connect is a dream )

I am a new in this technology, so please anything will be appreciated by me!
Thank you !
Alex

2 Likes

There are some good details on the network limits here Overview | Meshtastic

Thank you for your help, and of course i got it earlier and did not find exact limit for my case except 30-200 nodes in one group. But in one place will not more then 200 nodes and definitely no chance to connection for one place with own nodes to another because of the long distance, so possibly it’s not a limit ? As I understand mesh net is not centralized and one part of the group cannot know about other nodes belong to the same group but located somewhere else if parts have never connected?
Let me know if I don’t understand the technology please

Alex

right now Meshtastic uses ISM bands around 433-470MHz and 865-928MHz, and one big challenge for a global network would be following the wild variations (and confusion) for each country’s radio laws and regulations.

The word global makes things way trickier.

Thank you
In case we choose one band of course, and connected countries

Is there some limits and rules of the mesh net for initialisation of the new node, this is a key question…

For example should the “creators channel node” to be present at the same place for connection of the second and third ets nodes ?

Different locations use different frequencies is the issue, there is not a global frequency.

433 is a global used frequency band

We can’t use it in the US

Bands are second question, let’s think we are going to travel in countries with one band, will it possible to connect new nodes into one group by one link in different places?

Thank you again !

Need to develop a crossband repeater function between 868 and 915 using the same modules. Receiving on 868 and transmit on 915 or receiving 915 and transmit on 868. Or “steel” some info how TTN is doing this. Most simple way, buy 2 modules set them both ON and that helps. About in open sea, like oceans, there are no rules only inside land borders.

I think this is why Semtech came out with the 2.4g line – to have an actual global product.

What are the power limits on 2.4G? Also, it would have worse penetration than 433 Mhz on paper at least (basic physics), so it would be interesting to see if there are higher power limits and airtime compared to 433.

WiFi works on 2.4G, I wonder what the power limits are.

2.4GHz is very full band in city areas, see using SDR or use spectrum-analyser.
868 with little power or use a directional (beam) antenna, do more. Tested 868 using a 32 element beam from mainland west europe over the North sea to east coast UK, every day possible.
EDIT: we used a LowNoise preamp for rx

Why didn’t you use 433?

Something I’d like to see is app and device support to switch between a common / public channel and private ones created by users. I think this would meet many of the needs discussed here,

1 Like

Public channel and direct messages is going to be here much faster than named groups.

1 Like

The question is not about bands but mostly about possibility create only one group (lets say one name, one settings, one shared link etc) and be possible to join to this group (by new nodes) in different places. Is it possible ?
Example: i create new group in place A (let say A = home).
Then in different place B (200 km away for example), several people try to join to this group by the shared link. No connection (long distance) between A and B
Will it work and for first place and for second ? (work means communication between people who located in A and separatly communication between people who located in B)