Is there a method to connect meshtastic data from two machines with different frequencies?

hi~ I am a Meshtastic user from Taiwan, where the operable frequency is 923 MHz. However, with a license, it is possible to use 433 MHz, which allows for greater transmission distance and power. Therefore, we plan to use 433 MHz as the central hub and 923 MHz as the branch. Is there a way to interconnect two devices operating on different frequencies, 433 and 923 MHz, using methods like TX/RX? thx😀

I guess it would possible with serial connection between two devices, but I dont think it would allow for ‘seemless’ joining of two meshes, at least without custom firmware. Would probably need a third device in the middle converting messages.
Can see the serial modes here:

none of them are are designed specifically for bridging two networks.

The simplest solution might be MQTT. You have two meshtastic devices (one on each mesh/network) and connect them via a MQTT.
Would need a MQTT broker as an intermediary. If both devices could have wifi connection to public internet then could just use one online.
… if not perhaps could have the broker running on a local Raspberry Pi or similar. It could also provide a wifi-hotspot for communication between the devices.

(your meshtastic devices would of course need WiFi)

I have done this. This is what you have to do.

Create a private MQTT Broker. I used Mosquitto on a Raspberry Pi 4 and I also tested it with Mosquitto on an Ubuntu Server on an AWS VM. Both work. The only difference is the VM is easier for public access.

Your 923Mhz node/channel will have to be unencrypted to match your ham unencrypted channel on 433Mhz.

Connect both nodes to your MQTT Server.

3 Likes