Command line interface to read messages

I couldn’t work out how to get the Python CLI to read text messages, which I was surprised to find out it doesn’t do.

So I wrote this Python CLI to connect to your radio, and read and display any text messages received by your radio.

2 Likes

You can use the --debug output, but it noisy output. Have to filter it just see messages.

This does have much simpler output if just want the messages.

Also nice simple example of a python program to receive messages, which could be modified directly. So thanks for both :slight_smile:

Hope you dont mind me posting this too,

I wanted a script to keep track of messages, mainly to do battery life test of a tracker node. Can see when the device died in normal clients, from ‘last heard’ but not very accurate. Also keeps track of how long was alive for.
… also verify that (for example) the POSITION packets are really been sent on proper interval.

… so created a python script to run on a computer, heavily based on your script! Which shows how easy it is to work with the python API. Serial only for now.

(at the same time added logging to a extended rangetest.csv file - mainly because easy to log while going along anyway, but also wanted to add some extra columns not in the offical module, for enhanced mapping. more on that later)

For now lost the ability to simply display text messages. Hopefully will get round to make a configuable version with command line options, to choose what functions perform (view text messages, compile stats, and/or csv logging) Guess could even add logging of telemetry data too, not needed that myself yet.

Created as a fork of your project to give you credit!