Boxed solar node - glorified Bluetooth link to main nodes ... solar fail

This solar node is for use in the home or when using the car to get a link to a main (Station G2) node in the attic or in the car under the sunroof, because Bluetooth does not reach far enough. The box is waterproof and robust and so can be left within bluetooth range of my phone indoors or out.

The build has the interesting aspect that the parts only just fit inside the box (solar panel and USB charging port and antenna only just fit). The result is a node that cannot have its antenna snap off (it is entirely within the box) and can be charged without having to plug a USB cable into it (but you can if you want, see to end) etc. The battery can run the node for at least three weeks from fully charged. The box has a transparent lid to allow the solar panel to work. The transparent lid means that one can still read off the LED lights of the Wisblock and Waveshare solar power manager board, so you can see, for example, what percentage charge the battery has and whether the solar panel is charging the battery. A fun part is that all those flashing lights (red, green and occasionally blue) make the box a fab and geeky night-light feature. Had I only know sooner how reassuring random flashing LEDs can be…

Parts list:

Radio: Rak wireless WisBlock Base Board 2nd Gen | RAK19007

SKU: 110082

Nordic nRF52840 BLE Core Module for LoRaWAN with LoRa SX1262 | RAK4631 / RAK4631-R / RAK4631-C EU868 / RAK4631 Arduino

delivered item has RAK4630 written on it NOT RAK4631

SKU: 115000

Solar panel: 5W 12V https://amzn.eu/d/00T2ABM3

[Mark 1 fail: The following items did not work - no charging of battery took place —
Voltage limiter: RAK Green Power Module SKU: 110049 ESP32 Arduino Green Power Module Texas Instruments TPS55165-Q1

With a jack and socket connector (solar panel to voltage limiter): https://amzn.eu/d/04fG5nUG
Yes, I did get a polarity wrong initially, ha ha, but then I swapped out the Green Power Module and also used a different RAK board in case I bust them, but I got no evidence of any charging even then. Even measuring the voltages was no use - there was no location I got any 5 V reading, perhaps everything was covered in resin that I was touching with the multimeter. If anyone can get this to work… would be happy to hear where I went wrong. So these parts are not used in the Mark 2 node. This comment reports no problem with the Green Power Module RAK solar node automatic restart, after brownout, upon eventual solar re-charge? - #20 by jdhgmann04]

Waveshare solar power manager: Solar Power Management Module, for 6V~24V Solar Panel - Opencircuit part number 12073 shown below:

Screenshot from 2024-07-25 20-25-14

I left the battery holder of the Waveshare solar power manager empty (there were no ill effects apparently of putting in a battery as well as the main one listed below, but it did not seem right nor necessary).

USB A to usb C cable (short): https://amzn.eu/d/0jbfYRWA or the one mentioned below for a USB connection to outside of box.

or better a right angle connector USB A to C https://amzn.eu/d/06mb5IRA or similar

Antenna: Eightwood https://amzn.eu/d/0edHQQxz

Antenna IPX to SMA connector: https://amzn.eu/d/00GRgcYn

Battery: 10000 mAh LiPo EREMIT 3.7V 10.000mAh High Capacity LiPo

Box: Distrelec Art. Nr. 303-75-350 RND 455-01406 | RND Plastic Enclosure with Clear Lid Universal 180x120x60mm Light Grey Polycarbonate IP66 / IP68 / IK07 | Distrelec Germany

4 screws (Spax 3 x 12 Z1). 2 to fix boards to the base of the box, with an M4 nut and washers merely as spacers because screws are too long. (The holes in the base of the box are wide and not deep - and I was not able to find any short, fat, ideal screws to fasten things into those holes.) 2 such screws to provide holders for cable ties (see the build photo) that hold battery down.

Cable ties, two, 150 mm long x 3.6 mm

Construction steps:

Flash the Rak board using the on-line meshtastic flasher.
Cut off the crocodile clips of the solar panel and expose the ends of the wires. Tin the ends with solder: keep them thin. Connect to wire terminals of the Waveshare board. Plug in the battery (the polarity has to be correct, which it was already. Else make an adaptor to swap polarities using JST connectors https://amzn.eu/d/0dvFShcy ). Jam the collar panel into the transparent lid. Put the components into the box, with the antenna diagonal and ever so slightly slightly bent.

Screw one screw into each board (you may need an M4 bolt and washers as a spacer if the screw is too long).

Fix two screws next to the battery on either side. Double up two cable ties to make one long cable tie and span the two screws using the cable tie to hold the battery down.

Place thick foam above battery so that the solar panel is pressed upwards against the lid when the lid is screwed down. Instead of screws you can just pad out the box so that nothing rattles nor moves - but I wanted to see the lights on the boards to be able to know what the boards are doing and because it looks nice, and padding will block the view.

Improvements for the future: A vent (like this https://www.distrelec.de/pressure-compensating-plug-m12-12mm-ip68-ip69-polyamide-black-wiska-ltd-evps-12-black/p/30158346 Vent Plug EVPS 12 Black M12 12mm 1Nm PA6 Black, Distrelec Art. Nr. 301-58-346) might be a good idea: update - the delivered vents do not come with the required plastic M12 bolt to fix them so I did not manage to install one, but will sometime as it does get a bit steamy in the box in the sun.

The waveshare board allows for a USB micro connection to charge the battery and run the node, and the box would benefit from having a link to that USB connection. I did that using a bulkhead feed-through https://amzn.eu/d/02HzoTlZ . To get this to work you need to use this USB connector https://amzn.eu/d/0bbACHC3 otherwise there is not enough room at the connections to the Waveshare board to have both USB C out and USB micro in. The steps for this are to make the hole in a location that does not cause a problem for the other components. One has to be very careful with the choice as the bulkhead connector is very bulky on the inside of the box and can easily block the battery. There are also raised parts for screws in the base and the bulkhead on the inside will not sit properly if it is located too near one of those raised parts (any yes, mine worked purely by fluke).

Bad points: the box has lips at two ends for mounting, as this might be considered a bit of an annoyance as the box is then less-boxy. The RAK node has in this build no sensors etc.

With this node I got a report of traceroute from a node about 29 km away…and it “beat” the main node on the left in this location:

because it was “first” is the traceroute !

The last step in the traceroute (Hanbury to MRbx) is shown on the map below and is about 25 km

Screenshot from 2024-08-06 00-07-36

so I think the plastic box and solar panel do not really stop reception too much - or maybe the alignment of the box was a fluke and a different position would not have worked…

Fits in a small bag too :thinking::smiley:

basically I have this bag in the house and link to it with the phone to get access to nodes that might be further away that bluetooth can manage (anything further than 15 m in my tests…).

2 Likes

looks nice. Is solar panel able to keep it charged in long term at least during summer? (In which region?)

How much is all that
thx

I have not tested the panel long term. I will post here if there is a problem. I will not be mounting the box outside. It is just to have near me within bluetooth range an it hops the message to my main node. If leaving it in a window or outside does not charge it enough I can open it and charge via a USB micro socket (edit: I confirm that I can charge the battery so that the charge status shows 100% by plugging in a usb charger to the usb micro socket). The costs are steep really (see links). Box + battery + node + bits is about 70 euros (but so is a Techo which failed on me and needed re flashing). The reason I do not want to test it as an exterior node is the way the antenna is blocked by the panel and components - so probably very sub-optimal as a fixed exterior solar node. One can adapt the design of course for that.

1 Like

I have not yet managed to have 100% charging using solar… wondering if there is an issue… will keep testing. 3.8.24

I can no longer edir this post but the solar charging seems not to be working as expected, if at all. At least it never shows more than 50% LED indicator state. I will let it run flat from 50% and see if it charges up at all. I tried changing the PPT setting on the dip switches but still the LED charge indicators never show more than 50% . When you put in a battery in the empty battery holder and also have the other battery connected, the nodes does not work.

Just take care that it will heat up like crazy. You’ve build a perfect greenhouse for your electronics.

For safety reasons you should keep your LiPos <=60°C at all times and only charge them between 0-45°C.

I’ve found a few solutions for this:

• Use white reflective spray to cover the entire box
  • Glue small plastic spacers between the box and solar panel
  • Take care to use high quality glue (for boating or pools)

(see: MeshtasticNode_BQ25185/EVALUATION-v02.md at main · dm5tt/MeshtasticNode_BQ25185 · GitHub)

1 Like

Today for first time a third battery level light starter to flicker on… seems like something is happening. I think the solar pannel has to go on the outside really… the design is a bit daft thermally. In view of your comment I will pop a temperature sensor on…

2.9.24 After testing and fiddling I have to report this does NOT work ! The solar charging does not work. No clue why. May swap to another battery to see if that solves the problem. So the only thing I learnt was one can box the antenna and it works fine. Sorry folks. Duff post. Will report if I manage to fix the charging by changing the battery.

Nope that battery above in blue did not work.
I am having good indications using another solar panel

that is small but too big for the box and wrong voltage spec for the solar manager… will post more if this proves to be true…
None of this is working. The voltage on any attached battery won’t rise. May swap out solar manager.
6-9-24
Now sticking with LiIon and different 6V panel and testing … will report

This device was canabalised for another project because the solar panel was not charging the battery. I am using waveshare D and will report.