Are direct messages encrypted?

I know channels have their own pre-shared keys but direct messages do not require a psk so is it something like public key encryption or is it just plain text?

Direct messages are encrypted with the key of a channel you share with the recipient. In recent firmware and apps, in the node list it’s shown which channel that is.

Where in the node list is the channel used for direct messages shown?

I’m kinda curious how a node knows what channels the other node has? Although I guess it could base it on messages received already (ie sent by the other node, and was decoded locally) - although in that case, if both nodes have longfast it seems like it would just use that, even if there is a common ‘private’ channel with a private key.

I see it listed in the bottom right as ch:1 for example.
My nodes that share channel 0 doe not list it, so if your using default settings and your channel 0 is the default one, it may not display any as its the default channel that they have in common, but I could be wrong since I am new to this. I am also not sure how this would look with say a BME module attached since it would be the same area on screen where that info would be listed.

ok thanks.

Both have ch:0 as LongFast, as that could explain why dont see any idication, if it only shows if not 0.

I really wish the manual would explain some of the stuff a little more.