Anyone have an MQTT Tutorial and/or Meshtastic Specific tutorial?

I can barely spell MQTT and know next to nothing on how to run/use MQTT to get my Telemetry data stream. I currently have Mosquitto and Node-Red installed on a RaspberryPi, but have zero clue as to how to set up the system to record the telemetry stream coming from the Node. I have the MQTT and Wifi parameters set up on the Node…just need some guidance on how to get the data.

Thanks in advance

2 Likes

The mqtt docs are here MQTT Module Configuration | Meshtastic iOS is a way easier path to getting environment telemetry

1 Like

Could you elaborate further please?

I want to get each telemetry packet and from our last conversation unless my iPhone is tied into the network that’s not possible.

Working examples would be greatly appreciation.

There are several tutorials in the docs links, MQTT for data collection is not easy. (It is pretty simple to bridge two networks) You have to be tied in to the network via a PC for mqtt to work too, there is not long term storage on the devices you are going to have to have a client of some kind (iOS, android, webui, CLI, MQTT) persistently connected.

1 Like

For persistence, I was planning on using a RaspberryPi. With that in mind what do I need to accomplish my goal?

I’m using raspberry pi to get location data (to forward to Traccar service) from Meshtastic node using MQTT.
I use the python script from Josh: GitHub - joshpirihi/meshtastic-mqtt: A python script to translate Meshtastic packets into a plain format. Currently sends positions to a Traccar instance, and publishes battery % and environmental plugin data to its own topic (eg for Grafana)
Maybe this can give you a bit of an insight how to accomplish what you’re trying to do?

1 Like

I depreciated the proto buffers and seems to be working (at least not crashing).

I hired an engineer on fiver to get mine running.

I added my flow to Github at GitHub - scruplelesswizard/meshtastic-node-red: Node-RED Configuration for Meshtastic Packets. Please feel free to use and open issues on that repo for anything that could be improved!

It includes:

• Ingestion from MQTT
  • Protobufs decoding
  • Message deduplication by ID
  • Translating integer To/From node ids to hex
  • Annotating packets with known NodeInfo
  • Split for all current port numbers
  • Writing Packet, Device, Environment and Position measurements to InfluxDB
  • Debug nodes for all outputs

Known Issues:

• NeighborInfo payloads are not properly decoded
1 Like