Announcement: M.2/Mini-PCIe board compatible with RAK4631 Meshtastic firmware variant

Look like we fixed all hardware issues in the first test bath.
Also, we removed the delay circuit from the boards because it’s anyway not working (sorry @roland), but it’s maybe come back in the next revisions of the board. Because first of all, we must get working, Meshatstic-compatible boards.
While testing the boards, we found that the 4630 has a bootloader that is incompatible with Arduino. I had to output SWD pins to the pins of the M.2 connector reserved in the NGFF standard (56 - SWD, 58 - SWC) for an easy reflash of the bootloader.
So for now I’m waiting when M.2 Key B connectors arrived at the JLCPCB factory, to order M.2 breakout boards together with the next test batch of boards.

1 Like

Today I received a new ES batch of the light version of the Meshtastic M2 boards, which are compatible with the RAK4631 Meshtastic firmware variant. I plan to test these boards this evening to make sure they are working properly and that they are ready for use. I’m excited to see the results and to start using these boards in the near future!

3 Likes

I’m happy to report that the M.2 Light variant is working perfectly. I’ve tested it with several different devices including a Lenovo X270 laptop and it’s all working fine.

The next step is to produce an ES batch of the Ultimate version, but first I need to order RAKs without the IPEX connector.

7 Likes

Just to understand that correctly: there is work done on components that would fit into thinkpads, but they’d need a bios whitelist because the timeout didn’t work as initially thought!?

Hey there! Just to let you know, the compatibility of our M.2 board with your device depends on the model. For instance, the X270 require BIOS modification, while the T440s works perfectly with the stock BIOS. We are aware of the delay timer issue and hope to improve it in future production iterations. Unfortunately, due to limited funds, we can’t conduct extensive hardware debugging at the moment.

However, we have a Lite version of the M.2 board that is production-ready. If you’re interested, I can send you a final engineering sample in exchange for a small review. We’d love to hear your honest feedback, both positive and negative. If you’re up for it, please send me your shipping address and phone number through a private message.

1 Like

I’m excited to share some news about the development of the Ultimate version of the M.2 board. Today, I placed an order for the first engineering samples batch with JLCPCB. This is a huge step forward, and I can’t wait to see how these boards perform.

However, I did encounter a small hiccup in the process. JLCPCB rejected the soldering of the supercapacitors necessary for backup power to the GPS module. While the board should function properly without these supercaps, I believe that having them in place is crucial for optimal performance.

To address this issue, I’ve ordered the required supercapacitors separately from AliExpress. Once they arrive, I plan to solder them onto the boards myself at my workshop. This might take a bit of extra time and effort, but I’m committed to delivering the best possible product for the Meshtastic community.

I’ll be sure to keep you all updated on the progress, and I look forward to sharing more details as the boards come together.

3 Likes

Super excited to see how this turns out! Out of curiosity, what is your end goal once the board works as intended? Asking as I would be very interested in trying one of these out!

I initially embarked on this project out of personal necessity, as I required these boards for use in laptops and as an all-in-one solution for base station applications. Considering the potential interest from others in the hardware of this kind, I’m planning to sell these boards either directly to businesses (B2B) or via the Meshtastic hardware marketplace.

In addition, before these boards hit the market, I’m planning to distribute engineering samples to developers like yourself. This will ensure we gather valuable feedback and make any necessary improvements to enhance the product’s functionality and user experience.

1 Like

Gotcha, well I really appreciate you deciding to share your experiences on the project with the community! I’d personally be very willing to pick up an old T440 or something to test this out if you’re looking for hardware testers, and I’d probably also buy a few of these just out of personal interest once they drop :slight_smile:

Also super excited that you’re planning on hitting a B2B market! I haven’t heard too much focus on that within the Meshtastic ecosystem up to this point. Would love to hear about your experiences with that if you end up going in that direction

Not to spread yourself too thin here, but have you looked into creating this as a framework laptop module? It seems like it could be really effective in that context, and they’re going to have a hardware marketplace. Also, there’s probably a decent amount of overlap in interest!

2 Likes

Looks interesting. Thank you for sharing this.

Greetings, everyone!
I’m thrilled to share that I’ve recently received the engineering sample of the “Full/Ultimate” version of the board. Upon inspection, it’s evident that there are a few soldering tasks still to be completed, including addressing the missing RF traces and the backup ultracapacitor. I intend to tackle these tasks and conduct thorough testing over the weekend. Stay tuned for updates!

7 Likes

I conducted a preliminary sanity test today and encountered a couple of issues related to the SPI-Ethernet bridge and the GNSS module. My hardware R&D team suspects that the Ethernet problems might be connected to the capacitors soldered between the W5100SL and LAN7850 chips, which constitute the local onboard LAN. To troubleshoot and rectify this, I will need to send board samples to the R&D team located in Georgia. Currently, I am in Montenegro, so this will take a bit of time.

Additionally, I’ve noticed some clearance issues with the L8 induction coil; there’s a chance it might come into contact with the computer/router board in certain situations. To address this, we’re considering switching to a different inductor model.

Your patience and understanding as we work through these issues are greatly appreciated! I’ll keep you updated as we progress!

8 Likes

I have no idea how I missed this thread. This is excellent.

Hello friends, I have a brief update regarding our progress in addressing the hardware issues:

We’ve discovered the reason why the GPS wasn’t functioning - it was wired to an incorrect port on the RAK4630.

The Ethernet malfunction was due to the use of incorrect capacitors in the RX/TX line. We believe we’ve identified the correct capacitor capacity, which should be less than 0.1 uF for a stable 100 Mb/s link.

We’ve also removed the resistors between the USB HUB and LAN7850, as they were causing some stability issues with the USB link.

On the software front, I’ve been working on firmware that complements our hardware. As a result, we now have a separate firmware variant starting from version 2.1.18. You can find this in the firmware archive under the name monteops_hw1.

Additionally, I’ve managed to improve the GPS-related code as a side project. I hope that the next stable release of Meshtastic will provide faster GPS fixes and lower power consumption for GPS modules.

Stay tuned for more updates as we continue to enhance and optimize our hardware and software. Your continued support and patience are greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

I was just thinking about something like this to use in Panasonic Toughbook CF-31s. There are several different expansion bays in the CF-31, finding a physical place to put a radio board should be no problem. I was thinking of repurposing a Toughbook optical drive housing, since it would have (I think) all the necessary power and data interfaces needed. Someone smarter should look at it…

Is this still alive?

I think there were problems in getting a manufacturer produces in small enough quantities that the cost won’t go through the roof.

Still interested in those modules though, I’m about to get a third machine where I could use such a module