Wio Terminal working with tbeams

Hi I only have a tablet running android 7.0 - I was never planning to take that with me on a hike to connect to my tbeams.
However I do have a Wio Terminal (https://www.seeedstudio.com/Wio-Terminal-p-4509.html) doing nothing. It would be quite portable (well better than the tablet) as it does have a battery attachment. I would have to carry a tbeam too or add a gps to the Wio.
Could I use this at all with my tbeams? Just a thought - lockdown is becoming more restrict so I have time to get any code to work! Thanks.

2 Likes

Interesting board! It claims to support circuit python. I bet it wouldn’t be too hard to get the python api working there and then you could do a ui in python.

Wio Terminal also supports the 40-pin RPi header on the back with both RPis and shields… So, was thinking this might be able to be used with a LoRa shield (RFM95?)

Thanks @tteague. I have only just started to program my wio terminal using Arduino IDE. I am still waiting for the Lora radio to arrive. I seem to be doing well programming the wio but I am still in learning mode. I am afraid RFM95 usage is well beyond me. The wio terminal is small, robust and has a great screen so for me a good substitute for a smartphone. Thanks for the info - I will keep looking for RFM95/wio projects.

2 Likes

Just ordered the wio terminal and the battery. I think that might block the 40 rpi double header but it says it supports both ble and wifi. The custom python may take a lot of learning for me… but I see the board is supported in Arduino IDE. Also 4m of ram and usb to connect to a tbeam if needed.

1 Like

I am still awaiting the battery chassis as well as the radio. I found this project: https://www.hackster.io/idreams/lora-gps-tracker-with-wio-terminal-5d8647 and was thinking sender = tbeam.

1 Like

The battery chassis arrived (the new model with the on/off switch). But it has problems. It has a passthrough so the gpio’s are still available and do work. I checked the 5v supply and it was there. However I cannot get it to charge the Wio terminal. If I attach it and switch on the terminal the green/blue leds on the terminal flash for 5 secs and then go out. The loaded sketch does not appear on the screen. Even the battery test sketch does not work. It seems faulty to me. There are not many instructions so I am just expecting plug and play. The terminal itself works and I have sketches for gps, wifi and radio - all working well. I can run it from a standard battery pack so the battery chassis is not really needed it was just a sleek solution. My coding skills are now being tested - to get the terminal to upload and display the correct openstreetmap for the gps location. Not working currently! If anyone has the code for this that they could share?