Timeout on one device

I was hoping to avoid entering a new topic, but here goes.

I have two devices. Both can be accessed via the esptool from a windows machine. Both can be flashed. The difference is that only one can be accessed via the meshtastic CLI. The other always generates a “Exception: Timed out waiting for connection completion” and it is a very quick response.

Any help would be appreciated.

Same hardware for both devices? Same firmware? Same computer running python?

Correct. I have been attempting different versions of the firmware hoping to get a positive result but no luck. My line of thought is the connection on the board but the esptool responds and has no issues: Timeout and this is the first message:

ERROR:root:Error while handling message from radio Error parsing message with type ‘FromRadio’
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “c:\users\kenwaugh\appdata\local\programs\python\python36-32\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\stream_interface.py”, line 156, in __reader
self._handleFromRadio(self._rxBuf[HEADER_LEN:])
File “c:\users\kenwaugh\appdata\local\programs\python\python36-32\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\mesh_interface.py”, line 451, in _handleFromRadio
fromRadio.ParseFromString(fromRadioBytes)
google.protobuf.message.DecodeError: Error parsing message with type ‘FromRadio’
ERROR:root:Error while handling message from radio Error parsing message with type ‘FromRadio’
File “c:\users\kenwaugh\appdata\local\programs\python\python36-32\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\stream_interface.py”, line 156, in __reader
File “c:\users\kenwaugh\appdata\local\programs\python\python36-32\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\mesh_interface.py”, line 451, in _handleFromRadio
google.protobuf.message.DecodeError: Error parsing message with type ‘FromRadio’
File “c:\users\kenwaugh\appdata\local\programs\python\python36-32\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\mesh_interface.py”, line 451, in handleFromRadio
File “c:\users\kenwaugh\appdata\local\programs\python\python36-32\lib\runpy.py”, line 193, in run_module_as_main
main”, mod_spec)
File “c:\users\kenwaugh\appdata\local\programs\python\python36-32\lib\runpy.py”, line 85, in run_code
exec(code, run_globals)
File "C:\Users\kenwaugh\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\Scripts\meshtastic.exe_main
.py", line 9, in
File "c:\users\kenwaugh\appdata\local\programs\python\python36-32\lib\site-packages\meshtastic_main
.py", line 777, in main
common()
File "c:\users\kenwaugh\appdata\local\programs\python\python36-32\lib\site-packages\meshtastic_main
.py", line 584, in common
args.port, debugOut=logfile, noProto=args.noproto)
File “c:\users\kenwaugh\appdata\local\programs\python\python36-32\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\serial_interface.py”, line 53, in init
self, debugOut=debugOut, noProto=noProto, connectNow=connectNow)
File “c:\users\kenwaugh\appdata\local\programs\python\python36-32\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\stream_interface.py”, line 50, in init
self.connect()
File “c:\users\kenwaugh\appdata\local\programs\python\python36-32\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\stream_interface.py”, line 74, in connect
self._waitConnected()
File “c:\users\kenwaugh\appdata\local\programs\python\python36-32\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\mesh_interface.py”, line 362, in _waitConnected
raise Exception(“Timed out waiting for connection completion”)
Exception: Timed out waiting for connection completio

Ken

Ok, I now have 5 devices and they all have this issue (including the one that did work). I am using firmware 1.2.39 and up (tried them all). As well meshtastic v 1.2.52. Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

Ok, it “seems” to be working now. I uninstalled meshtastic and then reinstallede without the “–upgrade” in the command line. Fingers crossed…

Worked once…and back to square one :frowning: