Testing and optimising transmission distance

Is there any recommended method for testing range that one person can do? maybe like an echo responder, or one node send out time stamped messages every minute repeatedly and get snr and attenuation. Then for testing I could go for a walk and just look at the oled screen and maybe have a log saved? If the gps could be used to calculate the actual distance that would be awesome.

There is a feature where if you tap the button, the device will ask the node you are looking at to reply with its latest location. This is called a “location ping request”, the request also includes your location. It limits this behavior to a max of once per minute (because for hiking etc not much point in having a fresher location than that).

This is how I usually do testing of range. I leave one node sitting at my house and the other I carry with me and ever so often I press a button, get a new distance and received signal level.

Brilliant that’s great - I see it now. I’ll see if I can do script to convert the debug output to a gpx file then I can load it into a map and see how far it got.

1 Like

Is this still a thing? On a TBeam, which button would one push?

the middle button - the one that cycles betweens the screens (the other two buttons are not really CPU visible. One powers the unit on, the other resets the CPU).

It is automatic when you ‘page’ to a screen that is showing a particular node, if the data for that node is more than 2 mins old your device will send a message to their device (exchanging position data between those two nodes - and implicitly updating the locations the rest of the mesh has cached)