Screen will not show direction arrow

Hi

I have two T-Beam TTGOs running EU865; 0.6.4 and the app using 0.6.6.
I cannot get them to revert to showing the direction arrows.
On restart, even with just one radio on, I get the Meshtastic logo then a screen with a small f (top LH corner), a message “connected to…” and below this three dots, the left one larger and brighter than the other two. This screen does not change unless I send a message.
Does anyone have this problem? Any advice much appreciated.

1 Like

Are you sure you have a good GPS fix? 15 minutes outside, with a clear view to the sky, should be enough for the first fix.

press the middle button to cycle between screens. No need to ever press the reset button.

also - if the arrow is continuously rotating it means either you or them does not have a GPS position. (We really should change it to an empty circle when you don’t have a position - someday).

On the last screen it will say GPS good or bad to indicate if you’ve got a GPS lock (also you can see the blinking red led through the plastic)

issue created:

Hi

Thanks for all your responses. Ah - I missed checking the middle button(!) and that works just as @geeksville described. Why I did not realise this before I do not know.
The arrow rotating - I did wonder if the unit has to be in a certain configuration for the arrow to point correctly? I have only just started to use the units and only in my garden so not long distances.

1 Like

The arrow should point to the other unit, but it only really works that way after you walk 20 meters or so - because it does dead-reckoning based on your movement to figure out which direction you are walking (so it can properly make the arrow orientation relative to your current direction).

Thanks - still trying to understand and appreciate your answers.
So I have a follow up - the radio sends out its position as a gps string. The second radio picks this up and therefore knows the first radio’s position. But it’s not a compass so has no N/S/E/W grid built in and therefore needs to establish it’s own position and direction. Hence if I had a compass and my radio displayed the lon/lat of the radios I could just use the compass bearing as a backup? Is that right?

you could. though the dead-reckoning works pretty well. It only needs a bit of movement from you to know which direction you are walking. Until then it really has no bearing to show the arrow in an intelligent way. Though I suppose someday we could put a “north up” option in, and if that option is set, it would just be showing the direction (without considering your orientation) towards the other person.

Thanks. Lockdown stops me viewing the arrow over a large distance but I will try it tomorrow now that I can always get to the arrow screen!
Separately I have done a report bug on the app for no other map source available. I can only see mapbox and if I click on the icon it just takes me to openstreetmaps.