Provisioning workflow for a use case

Hello and good evening. While Kevin works on the RAK815 compatibility I ordered some of the pre-flashed TTGO devices, 5 in fact. I have them with me now. I have 2 use cases that I would love to execute on. Not sure if doable with where the hardware is today but I’m having a hell of a time getting it working.

So the initial use case:
1 - I have 2 sons that I like to go hiking with. I want to be able to strap one of these to each of their backpacks. Ideally, this would allow me to send 1 way communications to them while also being able to see where they are on GPS from my basecamp. Assuming they are off hiking and I am at camp… and we have lora signal.
2 - I would like to have devices deployed through a geographic area that I can approach and pair to using the app and leverage the network in an ad-hoc way. So if I have a mesh spread out throughout 15-20 acres, I should be able to be within BLE range of some device if I have enough of them.

The first use case is far more practical to my near term needs. However I’m really unfamiliar and unclear how to provision these devices. I have tried using my single android galaxy 10, pairing with each device, trying to name it individually, and set the radio settings. However, this doesn’t seem to work right as each device gets named the same thing and once I try this approach, none of the radios will pair with one another.

My goal is simply to
1: name the device
2: set to a non-default channel with specific settings
3: confirm that all of the devices are talking to one another

I didn’t see an apparent way to set the channel name with the python API, but that could be me sucking.

Any thoughts about this approach? Do I need a distinct mobile device to provision this way? Will my primary use case work? Can I ship these devices off in this stand-alone way and use them to keep an eye on my hikers?

I realize that ideally I would ship them off with phones paired to these devices and we’d have better, 2-way communication. But in the realm of “keeping things simple”, i was hoping to just strap the devices on stand-alone.

If there’s a method of provisioning in this way and I’ve just missed in, please link it for me. Otherwise I’d be glad to write this up as a document and submit to the project!

Thanks