Meshtastic

Problem with setting up private secondary channel

Hi,

I could not find hints in the forum, so I try to ask. In case feel free to point me to the right place :slight_smile:

I was trying to setup a secondary channel keeping the default. For what I understood, this should allow to communicate privately while keeping the primary channel public.
I followed the instructions here Multiple channel support | Meshtastic
and meshtastic --info reports the correct output. I sent the complete URL to an android device, and tried to change the channel.

Question one: I got the message that sounds like “Do you want to switch to the NAME channel”, but the NAME was the name of the default channel (the primary one?). Is this correct?
I expected to see the new channel name.

Anyway, I accepted, and from the android app I tried to share the channel again, and the complete URL was exactly the same as the new one with the primary and secondary channel.
And if I check the device attaching to the computer,
meshtastic --info
confirms that 2 channels are configured.

But then I tried to send a message, and I received the message on both the other 2 devices, even the one that has only the primary channel configured. And it works both ways. So I presume that I am not using the secondary channel.

What am I missing?

I am working with 3 LORA v2.0, and I flashed the most recent firmware 2 days ago, and installed android app 1.2.31

Any hint is welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am having the exact same problems, hope this gets more views and you get some feedback!

I believe the Android app currently doesn’t support sending through secondary channels. The secondary channels are still a new-ish feature. It does, however, support receiving from secondary channels – you can exercise this through the Python API.

(My understanding is that the channels in Meshtastic are at a different layer; joining a channel is similar to joining a network, and a secondary channel is similar to multi-homing in IPv4; the text messaging functionality of Meshtastic is similar to an app that binds on 0.0.0.0:1, or “all interfaces, port 1”.)