Pi Zero Mesh network

Hi all

Great project all, i am looking to create a RPi Zero lora mesh of sensors around my city and i was wondering if this code would be able to be adapted to create the mesh so i can send the data to a pi 2 gateway to upload it onto adafruit.io or simmilar? As i can find no current python meshing projects on the internet that create meshes for python lora stuff.

Regards Jamie

1 Like

yes - I suspect this would be fairly easy to do. This python library running on your RPi should be able to use the meshtastic radios as its ā€˜backboneā€™. The library is still in alpha release, but if you find bugs we can fix em ;-).

@geeksville
what do you mean by ā€˜backboneā€™ i am hoping for it to be a fully pii solution with pi zeroā€™s building the mesh and the 2 interfcaing with interntet

In theory this code could be ported to run on a PI (but it would be a fair amount of work). But the Pi doesnā€™t have a lora radio in it. So I think you are better off just running this code on something like a ā€œTTGO LORA32ā€ and connecting it to the PI via USB.

@geeksville ok, thanks that makes sense and the python library is written to broker that connection?
How hard would it be to write a mesh creation script to run on the pi zero with rfm95 board?

pretty easy - take a look at the documentation and examples in the pip project. A few lines to send a packet and a few lines to receive one whenever it comes in.

thatā€™s good, so no complex maths to do to build up the mesh of pi zeros and rfm95 chips?

Yes. All that is hidden from you.

1 Like

Great thanks, so i can just use that api library and it will recognise the rfm95 connected to the gpio pins as a meshtastic device