Meshtastic to connect isolated villages

Just did a test, placing a T-Beam on top of the hill where the main Libre Router node in our mesh sits.

This was the expected reach using the simulation. Unfortunately I didn’t have the map with me to check exactly where we’d could have signal in the closest town (Alto Paraíso de Goiás), so I drove to the wrong places to test.

But I was very surprised with these results, I was expecting to climb a hill to get a message through, but from inside the car messages were being sent no problem (using the maximum range/lowest speed settings). Within the village I got a connection everywhere.

Based on the simulation for the Krahô territory I’ve decided to change strategies, and go for the best spot on the whole territory, making possible for all villages to connect. The trick here is to either have a really good omni:

Or place two nodes at this hill, each one with a yagi, which might be more guarateed to work, but would require placing more nodes at the center in case villages in the other directions want join the network:

Probably worth testing the two options, by first placing nodes at the villages, then going up the hill and testing omni and yagis.

Almost decided on the kit I’ll be going for, based on simplicity (for less points of failure), price and national availability.

@skyde I don’t think I can find anyone with a vector analyzer around here :frowning: Any other ways to tune antennas?

6 Likes