Meshtastic <--> Secure Scuttlebutt

We’re thinking on one Meshtastic device per village here. So we can use a lot of strategies at the client’s end by limiting characters in messages and limiting amounts of message sent per time cycle.

@Spor7biker villages can be really far, and movement isn’t as regular. P2p will be wonderful for whole feed syncs when using WiFi (specially to the Internet), but we can benefit from close to real-time LoRa transport, as long as we don’t completely spam the network.

The LoRa bandwidth isn’t too bad if you can use the fast settings and are in an environment where you don’t need to limit the duty cycle. (And limiting to text payloads)

I still don’t fully understand duty cycles. In theory I could use 100% duty cycles per day on a channel in a remote place where no collisions with other broadcasts would happen, correct? Would the only downsides be more power and illegality?

Do you feel like a true mesh network is needed for this backhaul connection?

In last year’s experiment there was no way to make point-to-point links, a true mesh is really desirable.

And a mesh fits really well with Scuttlebutt’s nature, as I believe many of the SSB messages will be posts that village leaders will exchange publically to organize events (Krahô life is about partying). So we want the posts to reach everywhere. Another use case is a private message to reach someone thru the Internet. We want everyone to have the private message, so that the first person who visits the Internet will send the private message.

The challenge might come in educating about the use of these “emergency” messages and/or creating crypto-barriers for malicious nodes or bad actors.

In theory you could have nodes running multiple radios and do relay instead of repeat, and / or bond radios and channels in to a higher thru put link. But I think that is far beyond meshtastic and would be better as a new project.

That’s really interesting, I find the use of multiple radios a good modular solution to scale up as the network needs it. Is there a thread or project for that? The use of one 433Mhz for mesh and one 446Mhz for PTT Voice really excites me.

1 Like