(old thread) Meshtastic iOS app - first alpha release

Hi seems rather more complicated. So I have two tbeans running 1.2.6 - they are fixed and using the environmental plugin so I just leave them permanently on. I have two other tbeams using 1.1.50. These two I have been successfully using with your ios app. These two this morning I connected to my android tablet (running 7.0) to check out any issues. Unfortunately my 7.0 android is not great but I managed to send messages to both devices (while both in my office). I then tried to message them from my iphone. No success - I just get time out connecting. The ios also only picks up one of the devices as well. All should be identical! So now I am going to flip the android back to 1.2.7 to see if that allows an ios connection.

Hi when I moved the tablet back to 1.2.6 I was able to use the ios app to connect to the two devices on 1.1.50. Better news with the 100m check - this worked and the message transferred to the home device. I am still to check the 2km distance but it does look like an error by me in sending the message. Sorry!

Minor update:

Many thanks for your feedback.

This build contains minor bug fixes and improvements for better debugging.

fixed:

• App crashes when BLE pairing was aborted

• The text of all buttons and message boxes is now in English

debugging:

• BLE disconnects are now logged in the debug view
2 Likes

This one crashes right after pairing. If I restart the app (and the t-beam is paired), it crashes immediately.

Just tried the new release here. It connects to the t-beam as before.

Im also getting this crash on 0.87 (2)

Can you upload a compiled .ipa of the new 0.87 to try it?

At first, thank You so much for working at this app!
With two androids, my two beams (1.1.50) are sending and receiving very well, but the same between Android and iOS (14.4.1), only the Android receives the messages from the ios, while itā€™s not receiving the messages from the android.
Any ideas whatā€™s wrong, or what i can do?

2 Likes

Hey @thepoweroftwo Iā€™ve left a comment in the Issues section of your Repo for this project. Seems to be some problem with the protobuf when trying to simulate in Xcode. Could be that Iā€™m missing a dependency somewhere though too.

Let me know what you think.

Hi tcote19,

see SwiftProtobuf.framework error during Xcode Build Ā· Issue #3 Ā· thepoweroftwo/meshtastic-ios Ā· GitHub

Was wondering if TestFlight is the primary spot for aggregating issues, improvements, etc. Definitely donā€™t want to create multiple streams of the same information so should I get TestFlight working instead of posting further on the GitHub Repo?

@thepoweroftwo

Donā€˜t think so, please stay at GitHub!

1 Like

Both channels have itā€™s advantages.
With TeshFlight you can easily send reports, attach screenshots and if the app crashes we can do a stack trace. But other users canā€™t see the reports, whereas on github everyone can read and comment.
So Iā€™d say generally use GitHub, but in some cases it might be useful to report it via TestFlight.

2 Likes

I am excited to see this great iPhone app. Thanks to all the developers. I am wondering how to configure the device for 915 MHz using the app. I only see 433 MHz channels list in the freq configuration menu. Is that section enumerated values? Is there any documentation on the proper configuration of the device using the iPhone app? Thanks : )

1 Like

There is no need to configure the app for other frequency ranges. This is just the description text for this field, which displays static example values for 433MHz devices right now. So, depending on your device firmware/region setting, the value you set there results in the right frequency for this firmware/set region.

This will change with the next update anyway (will implement new 1.2 settings protobufs)

3 Likes

I was wondering if there is a specific version of the firmware that works best with the iOS app? I am running 1.2.28(which I think is current beta release). The iOS app seems to connect to the devices, but when I try to send a message (broadcast) I do not see anything on the sending or receiving device. I see the message string in the debug window of the app that is connect to the sender but the data does not seem to make it to the radio. Thanks for the info.

I was looking at the serial monitor while trying to write to the device to send a text message and when i hit the send button on the iPhone app the serial monitor reports ā€œError: unexpected ToRadio variantā€ sound like maybe the structure of the string is incorrect or something.

1 Like

I just downgraded the firmware to 1.1.50 and the iOS app seems to be working. At least it is sending and receiving text messages now :o)

1 Like

Any status on a 1.2 firmware version of this app? It works with 1.1.50 for me.

4 Likes

Also wondering about 1.2 firmware. Iā€™ve got an iphone user who cant be connected to the network anymore since we updated.

Thanks!

4 Likes

How do I get access to the ios testflight? Iā€™d love to try it on ios14.6 if it is possible!