Meshtastic --Info Error, but can manipulate TTGO other ways

Hey everyone, I’m able to follow the setup guide (Tutorial: Setting up a Windows machine for use with Meshtastic-Python) and everything works all the way up until “meshtastic --info”. When I send that command, I get back…

$ meshtastic --info
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Username\Anaconda3\lib\runpy.py”, line 197, in run_module_as_main
return run_code(code, main_globals, None,
File “C:\Users\Username\Anaconda3\lib\runpy.py”, line 87, in run_code
exec(code, run_globals)
File "C:\Users\Username\Anaconda3\Scripts\meshtastic.exe_main
.py", line 7, in
File "C:\Users\Username\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\meshtastic_main
.py", line 933, in main
common()
File "C:\Users\Username\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\meshtastic_main
.py", line 709, in common
client = meshtastic.serial_interface.SerialInterface(args.port, debugOut=logfile, noProto=args.noproto)
File “C:\Users\Username\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\serial_interface.py”, line 57, in init
StreamInterface.init(self, debugOut=debugOut, noProto=noProto, connectNow=connectNow)
File “C:\Users\Username\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\stream_interface.py”, line 50, in init
self.connect()
File “C:\Users\Username\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\stream_interface.py”, line 74, in connect
self._waitConnected()
File “C:\Users\Username\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\mesh_interface.py”, line 402, in _waitConnected
raise Exception(“Timed out waiting for connection completion”)
Exception: Timed out waiting for connection completion

Any suggestions? I’m assuming it’s taking too long for the chip to respond… but esptool chip_id works and I’m able to flash firmware?

Thanks for any help!

This is my issue too. in addition I can flash any 1.2.x version and everything works fine.
as soon as I flash a 1.3.x version the flashing works fine and the new version is displayed on the screen.
But trying to --get or --set anything I get :

PS D:\> meshtastic.exe --info
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Schelto\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\runpy.py", line 196, in _run_module_as_main
    return _run_code(code, main_globals, None,
  File "C:\Users\Schelto\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\runpy.py", line 86, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
  File "C:\Users\Schelto\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\Scripts\meshtastic.exe\__main__.py", line 7, in <module>
  File "C:\Users\Schelto\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\__main__.py", line 933, in main
    common()
  File "C:\Users\Schelto\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\__main__.py", line 709, in common
    client = meshtastic.serial_interface.SerialInterface(args.port, debugOut=logfile, noProto=args.noproto)
  File "C:\Users\Schelto\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\serial_interface.py", line 57, in __init__
    StreamInterface.__init__(self, debugOut=debugOut, noProto=noProto, connectNow=connectNow)
  File "C:\Users\Schelto\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\stream_interface.py", line 50, in __init__
    self.connect()
  File "C:\Users\Schelto\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\stream_interface.py", line 74, in connect
    self._waitConnected()
  File "C:\Users\Schelto\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\meshtastic\mesh_interface.py", line 406, in _waitConnected
    raise self.failure
Exception: This device needs a newer python client, run 'pip install --upgrade meshtastic'.For more information see https://tinyurl.com/5bjsxu32

I have the latest versions:

PS D:\> py -V
Python 3.10.5
PS D:\> pip3 -V
pip 22.1.2 from C:\Users\Schelto\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\pip (python 3.10)

I think you hit the nail on the head. I don’t think what you are trying to do is available in 1.3.x yet.

I believe you get a limit set of commands by running ‘pip install --upgrade meshtastic --pre’

Try doing pip install meshtastic --pre --upgrade, that gave me access to meshtastic --info!
Thanks to Garth on discord for this fix.

Thanks garyoak, that did it. I now have connection.

Hi, as an iphone user this is not easy - the test app only supports 1.3+ but the 1.3 firmware seems not easy to be handled by an microcontroller and meshtastic novice…

In TestFlight if you look under “Previous Builds” you can install 1.2.xx versions of the iOS software.

thanks, tried them but the general issue with BT connection does not change.
Both mobile phones (old Samsung S4, New iphone 11) do connect to The Liliygo Nodes but after some hours no connection is possible.
When reconnect, the serial log usually reports “disconnect, reason=531”

For the records and search function - using the user button to set the password to “123456” is great but you can run into trouble when BT device has been connected earlier using an individual password. The error message (on serial, none on cell phone) can lead you into trouble. This is a BT problem on your mobile phone so delete entries (on android) about known devices with former password.
Reconnect (to the now unknown, new device) works at second try mostly.