Meshtastic 1.3.19 - June 16 Public Preview

If I understand correctly the ETSI spec, the power limit is 500mW:

on page 29:

869,400 MHz to 869,650 MHz Non-specific use 500 mW ≤25 kHz
The whole stated frequency band may be used as wideband channel for high speed data transmission 10 % or LBT + AFA (see note 3)

500mW is the permitted ERP. That’s assuming a 0db gain dipole.

500mW is 27 dbm, we are far away from the current 16dbm max in the code, even if using a good ground plane. You would need a Yagi with 7 or 8 elements to reach 10 or more dBd through the antenna, and this is ignoring the losses in the cable.

Where is there a 16dbm max? I thought all that was taken out a while back.

I found it in Meshtastic-device-1.3.19.3c6a2f7
/src/mesh/RadioInterface.cpp

EDIT:
it’s also in Meshtastic-device-1.3.20.9a5ff93

We maintain an outbound message queue. To enforce duty cycle, we’d hold back in sending out of the queue if the duty cycle limit is exceeded.

There are already systems in place to handle the queue filling up and prioritization within the queue if it is full.

Should be an easy contribution if someone would like to take this on.

The code says that if the region doesn’t specify a power limit, default to 17. Otherwise use the power limit defined by the region config.

As an example, the US region limit is 30 so that’ll override the default.

My issue is with the Region Limit for EU868 which if I read correctly the code is 16 dBm whereas the legal limit is 500mW erp (at least in Switzerland)

1 Like

We do accept contributions for changes such as this. Please follow the pattern laid out on the comments to provide background for the region setting. Region settings will be scrutinized more than others, but any changes you’d be able to share would be grand!

1 Like

I mentioned in April, that the new device I am working on uses license-free bands in Europe at 500 mW. I was talking about the G3 band, which everyone in this thread is speaking about.

I have modified the code and sent a PR to change the power limit, enjoy up to 500 mW of transmit power!