Meshtastic 0.2.1 works from Play Store

Hello, I’ve never been able to install the app via the Play Store until now in v0.2.1 - Before, on both my devices, I found Meshtastic (Early Access) in searchresults but the program download always stopped at 99% and never got to the install phase so I had to email the apk to myself and installed manually. So never got automatic updates either.
This 0.2.1 looks great! Shows as Beta and downloads from Play Store like a charm, installs OK. Startup and pairing with TBeam10 OK. Sending message OK. Was able to change channel OK. Didn’t see map in screen. But after passing through all screens, program stopped. I’ll try again. Haven’t tried on other devices so far because first I need to sort out some errors.
Question: where can I send errorlogs please?

2 Likes

oh yes, error logs would be great can you do it by opening an issue here? https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-Android/issues

Hi guys. Unable to download the app from Google Playstore, the playstore says the app is not currently available for download, and if I wish I can pre-register and when it becomes available I will be notified. I tried it on a number of devices with Google Playstore, all the same. Is there any possibility that Meshtastic could be added to F-Droid, it might require jumping through less hoops that GPS?

Hi ohcdh,
to download the alfa/beta versions via Play Store, you just go to this link: Go to https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.geeksville.mesh to opt-in to the alpha test.
It’s important to do this from your PC and not from your phone: once there, follow the link “If you don’t have the Meshtastic app installed, [download it on Google Play]” This will lead you to the Google PS, and there you will need to click on the green button. You will get a screen (see my screenshot) where you can choose the Android devices linked to your Google account: simply choose the device you want to send the installation to (and click ‘install’).
On your Android device, installation should begin once you have logged into your Google account. But if it doesn’t (happened to me), it might be necessary to go into Play Store on your device, into ‘my apps’ and you will see next to ‘installed’ and ‘library’ a choice ‘alpha’ (now ‘beta’) where you will find the Meshtastic app to install.

Can’t find any logs in my tablet, so I’m building this text as a log:

:)no issues on my Android8phone;
Play Store now even proposes update now that I managed to install without failure.
0.2.2 installs fine from PS
App opens fine, connects to my running Tbeam10, sends msg; received on Tbeam and shown in its display, all OK! no problem at all.
i still don’t know what map screen does.

would be nice to find ‘about’ or simply versionnumber!

Hi Eric

Thanks for the reply, it ain’t gonna work for me. The only device I
have linked to the GPS is a Kindle I reflashed with android and
Meshtastic is not compatible with it, so GPS won’t allow me to download
it. I have another android device, my phone but it runs LineageOS and
there is GPS on it, only F-Droid repositories, any chance I could get
apk download link?

No hurry won’t have mine assembled for a few week, as on the slow ship
from China.

Kind regards

Colm

The Release section on github has the apks: https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-Android/releases

2 Likes

Ah thanks I must have missed it, still getting use to GitHub

1 Like