KaiOs - the perfect synergy?

Hi all!
I’m new on this forum, and I’m trying to dive-in head first.
It seems to me that a whole ecosystem is emerging for people that want to stay ‘off the network’, either to enjoy nature or to escape corporations.
Following this idea a natural synergy emerges between feature-phones and LoRa: both relies on robust hardware with lower data-throughput than flagship technology, and both are created to be used in more harsh environments far from civilization.
Why not create a companion app for KaiOs and Meshtastic?
I know that a web-interface is on the way, but an app that relies on Bluetooth will be great for achieving the low-power and long-lasting use expected by Meshtastic and feature-phones.
Another benefit of creating a KaiOs app will be to create a bridge with the ‘bananahackers’ community, a great community of developers that may be interested in our project!
I tried to study the subject, and quickly realized that I don’t know Javascript (or HTML5), nevertheless the task doesn’t seems to hard, given that a Android App is already up and running.

Here some resources i found:

Hope someone is interested in exploring this with me!

5 Likes

Hi,

I just joined recently the network and found your post about possible usage Meshtastic app on the KaiOS. I am going to purchase one of the Nokia feature phones, Nokia 800 Tough, which is running on this OS.

Are you still working on the converting Meshtastic app from Android to KaiOS? I would be interested to test it.

I think it was determined that the web ui project could probably output a KaiOS compatible js api, but our android app is java and kotlin so someone would need to build a brand new KaiOS app from scratch the porting is not an option.

1 Like