IP over meshtastic kinda implemented

Yes! In the future we could have devices with ethernet ports, maybe link them to another device and both will join the mesh? Connect the node to a WLAN repeater? Connect the mesh with WLAN or LAN and then extend it using LoRa like it already does

That’s all very feasible.

Please take a look at our data rates table to get a sense the network capacity for the application(s) you are considering.

I recall something called Van Jacobson header compression back in the '90s when dial-up Internet was prevalent. It seems like that (among other tech for slow serial links like those back in the '80s and 90s) might be useful here as well, if users want to push SSH and TCP/IP through Meshtastic over LoRa. (It probably won’t help much with UDP, nor with ICMP, however.)

That’s really cool. From my read of the paper, that would be implemented on our Python API. No changes would be required on the device firmware.

1 Like

The early 90s have called and want their dialups back :slight_smile: I remeber faily running a multiline BBS with a door to switch to tcp/ip encapsulation.

2 Likes