How to read from CCS811, etc. I2C sensor?

Or any other I2C sensor for that matter? Like BH1750, for example? These sensors have ESP32 libraries. What’s the way to implement them so that we can send the sensor data over meshtastic?

3 Likes

We have support for 8 sensors and have 5 environmental data fields, what is the use case for a light sensor?

1 Like

More of a light-level monitor. For example - how did the humidity change just before it got dark at the beginning of a storm? Etc. The sky going darker would be an event we can look out for. hard to differentiate many events during a storm. Not to mention, it would be interesting to correlate how the pressure changes too.

We are also talking on Discord BTW :slight_smile:

Dear @garth , I am new to Meshtastic and tested it years ago.
I’d be more interested if there was an easy way to periodically send sensor data over meshtastic e.g. T-Beam.

• Can you post a list of these 8 sensors ready-to-use by meshtastic?
  • Are the supported sensors dependant on the used hardware? Which HW does support the most sensors?
  • Is sending periodical sensor data done on the firmware level or on a user-level (e.g. can you enable sensor readings by the app)?
  • Is there a way to send UART strings to e.g. from a small microcontroller to the T-Beam which will be sent over the meshtastic network (using the T-Beam as a mere modem)?

Many thanks and great project!

There are 9 now Telemetry Module Configuration | Meshtastic

Wisblock is generally the best way to include multiple sensors as ESP32 devices are somewhat pin constrained.

Using the serial module is the recommended way to support high sample rate sensors https://meshtastic.org/docs/settings/moduleconfig/serial

It is pretty easy to add new telemetry packet types if your data does not fit into the current device, environment or AQI telemetry types.

Device metrics and Environment telemetry data are available in both apps, historical data available on iOS.

Holy schmokes, there seemingly has been a lot of developement since I last checked out Meshtastic. I need to take some time to catch up. Many thanks for the links!