Exporting GPS history

Hi

Great looking projects looks a perfect fit for remote group management but can the GPS history be exported in GPX or similar format?

My goal is to use this with youth groups in the uk. Adult leaders will use the messaging service to keep in touch and if there are problems GPS coordinates of the teams can be used to meet up with them. It would be great if the daily route could be extracted (at a later date as these are 2 or 3 day expeditions) to use as a training tool to debrief the teams.

If itā€™s not currently available then I will look in to adding a unit with an ad card into the system to try and store the logs.

Thanks
Paul

4 Likes

I think this would be a ā€˜not super hard but a few daysā€™ feature for someone to add. The GPX format is easy, but someone would need to add a new ā€œlog of past pointsā€ feature to the app portion of the device code. Personally Iā€™m working on finishing the remaining features from the original mission so the app/device can be declared 1.0. That will probably take a few more weeks at the current rate.

Would you mind putting this in as a bug in the github repo so we donā€™t forget this in the future when someone has time? Also after 1.0 Iā€™ll work on modularity a bit so it is easier for folks to think of these devices as something that can run ā€˜theirā€™ custom app in addition to the standard messaging and GUI code.

I designed that for myself in GPX but the format is pretty easy and it needs to match with this application - so it would need to be reimplemented from scratch. But Iā€™d suggest to keep implementation open in terms of extra metadata to be logged along with GPS/speed/altitude/steering/batterylevel/LoRa RSSI.

My approach was a rolling file appender with file names based on GPS date (sweet simplicity + while no time/poisition from GPS sync occured I kept logging to default - but on startup of board I checked itā€™s existence and safely renamed the historical file and created a new one) and stored on local storage. For missing SD card slot I ordered OpenLog ebay chinese copy (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13712) boards but all those arrived malfunctioning and I need to order again from a better seller :-/

For critical incoming message processing I also attached hardwired Raspberry Zero W instead of Android phone that runs into saving Doze mode and doubles the effort of keeping track of message processing.

2 Likes