Device profiles in app?

This may be in the pipeline (if so never mind, if not please do :pleading_face:)

In the android app: How about adding the ability to save different profiles for devices/usecases
I have a bunch different boards that I will be using in different roles, as OTG phone extensions, as standalone repeaters, as access points with wifi. tracking devices with high update frequency…well, many of the usecases mentioned on the forum.

I know this can all be set via python, but I’m not quite there yet, also it is a lot of commands and things to remember for each board, Especially when you want to update many boards as gifts too friends and family. Profiles will make updating quick and fast, and ensure that the function of the boards are identical.

2 Likes

Is this sorta what you’re referring to:

Sort of, but in more detail
i.e for an otg phone extension, I’d want the phone to be in flight mode, no wifi/bluetooth/phone service whatsoever, while the board should also power off all but the lora, as it communicates with the app by usb and get power from the phone.
GPS (atleast for heltec) coordinates supplied from the phone.

For a Semi public node, like a group of 3-4 hikers, they would want to connect to a single unit carried by one in the group, then bluetooth and wifi should be on, so all within 100 m could connect and talk to other groups further away.

For a repeater, I’d maybe not want to report the location at all (to avoid tampering), and keep bluetooth/wifi off, so USB would be required to change the settings.

For a passive tracker, maybe no bluetooth/wifi is needed, but location report frequency
might be more important

So It is not just about the power usage/range of the lora, but different use cases requiering different setups, and making it easy to configure many different boards from the app.

Getting access to these settings and storing them as profiles in the app will make it easy to taylor the function to your need and configure the boards.

So if I order 5 boards and want 3 repeaters and 2 OTG phone extentions i’d just connect each board, choose profile (repeater/OTG/whatever) and update.
Rince and repeat for the next board.

I guess I’d want a checklist of all settable options, and a way to store them in the app with custom names, and a droplist to apply them to the connected board.

1 Like

Creating profiles that change settings on the boards seems like it would not be too hard (I don’t know what I am talking about from a code standpoint.). But making the profiles so that they would also trigger Android settings changes might require that the app have a broader set of permissions. Just something to consider.